cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Operating when accidentally created manufacturing view part/assembly

VVII
7-Bedrock

Operating when accidentally created manufacturing view part/assembly

Hi,

Asking for references how have you operated in the following situation.

Version I use is 12.0.2

In BOM-transformer, MPMlink:

If parts is created by mistake to manufacturing view that should be in design. (Accidentally click duplicate with propagating, when I should just allocate the design as design to manufacturing side) 

What is the back up plan?

Is it possible to just remove the manufacturing views of those parts if you detect it immediately? Will the connection link between design - manufacturing view even allow it (admin rights). 

This is important because if manufacturing view have been created, it will always use it instead of design, and this is not what I want by accidentally created components.

Thanks in Advance.

11 REPLIES 11
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:VVII)

You can use reassign view to fix:

avillanueva_0-1710336105783.png

Yes, I know I can reassign the lifecycle state but It will not solve what I'm looking for. The parts would will still be in system. Please ask if my explanation wasn't clear enough.

HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II

Hi @VVII 

Reassign view is not reassign life cyccel.

If the WTPart was created by mistake as a manufacturing, you can change the view from MFG to design. 

If the WTPart was created in the BOM Transformer by mistake, you can delete the Manufacturing version. 

PetrH

Thanks for the answer. If I'm right reassign view can only be used when only one view exists for the part number. In my example if I click "duplicate with propagating" by accident, there is design + manufacturing view for the part. But yes I can remove them, but need admin rights. 

Can you look for my latest question in this topic. Can the "duplicate with propagating" default option be removed from BOM transformer?

HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II

Hi @VVII 

Just add that user doesn't need the admin rights

If ACL are well defined, then the user who create the view can delete it in the initial lifecycle state.

PetrH

HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II

Hi @VVII 

To your question, I can not locate any configuration option in the system. 

So the options are not covered by configuration.

I've just found a class where the options are defined 

com.ptc.windchill.associativity.client.ChildStructureOption

HelesicPetr_0-1713853469708.png

So rewriting the class could be a way but I can not recommend it because who knows what that change could case. 

PetrH

Yes, it may not be the best idea to modify the class. I will continue to explore potential solutions to this issue. I will update this topic if I manage to find a resolution.

VVII
7-Bedrock

Hi, edited a bit my original post. 

But I got a idea that solves my problem in most cases. I tested that I can remove manufacturing view part right after it is created. It does not raise an error that there is an equivalent link between the design view. This is Good thing for me. 

My main concern was that someone click in MBOM transformer the child option " duplicate with propagating " and it would create many unnecessary manufacturing view objects to my system, I came up with idea that why not remove the default option from the menu, because I'm not planning to use it. I always use do not duplicate or duplicate without propagating. 

How do I remove this default button?

VVII_0-1711459704401.png

Any help related to this?

-VVII-

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

You can play around ACL to avoid this in first place.

If  user personas in your company has Design Engineer and Mfg Engineer separately to different persons, then ACL will do the trick for you to avoid the issue.

For Design Engineer, do not Grant access to "Create New Version".

For Mfg Engineer, Grant this access.

Not sure if this approach helps you, just thinking out loud here!

Cheers

Hari

Hi @Hari_Vara 

It does not help if the user who is responsible for creating the MFG version does a mistake.

PetrH

@Hari_Vara @HelesicPetr  

Yes as Petr said, there is still room for error when person have the manufacturing view creation rights.

By creating different lifecycle for ( parts)manufacturing view vs design view --> It will be limited by this way who is capable to even create manufacturing views.

If error is made I can move the "by accident made" manufacturing view parts to example state "obsolete" and then delete.

I have not tested the functionality to remove multiple parts by example moving to folder and deleting that.  Hopefully that is possible in Windchill 12.0, this article refers that in older version there have not been the bulk delete utility? https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS146894

Top Tags