cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Product Configuration Management

ptc-4699079
1-Newbie

Product Configuration Management

Hi,

Does windchill10.1 has capbility to track Product Structure ?

Whenever the changes made to the Product Structure is it possible to create the snapshot of that particular Product Stricture I am looking for tracking Product Structure based the Revision sequence.

For Example:

Assume Product Structure A.1. once I update the one or few components of the product stricture is it possible to create Product Structure A.2 to keep track of the changes I made.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thank You,

Raghu Mavinahalli.

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Raghu,

Not sure if you tried using the baselines. An excerpt from the WHC 10.1

>>>

A managed baseline is essentially a snapshot of an object at a specific point in time. You can create a baseline in the context of a product or a library.

Once you have created a baseline, you can add and remove objects and documents that reflect the product structure. Business information associated with the objects and documents is also recorded.

<<<

refer the WHC link for more details.

Regards
~Syed

Syed:

Thanks for the reply, your answer is giving me the lead to the solution. few more questions on Baseline

1. Is it possible to add User defined attributes to Baseline ?

2. Does Baseline has revision sequence associated with it?

Thank You,

Raghu Mavinahalli.

Hi,

Windchill is a powerfull tool for managing Product Configuration :

Baselines are one of these features.

Promotion request have a combined baseline and lifecycle state change capability

These features snapshot a particuliar iterations of your parts and BOMs

But Configuration Management deal mainly with Change Managment and effectivity management. You can use dated effectivity , or use a Product End Item as Config Item (lot, serial number ...). In this case, you will track Versions of your parts.

regards

Greg: Thanks for the reply, your answer is giving me the lead to the solution. i really appreciate your time.

Raghu.

Raghu,

Windchill has very broad and deep capabilities to track a products configuration and maturation over time.

Starting with the product structure / CAD structure and revisions thereof, there are many ways depending upon the needs and use cases to track and manage the configuration.

These include -

User wants

Configuration Specification

Description

To find latest designs

Latest

Expand the structure using the most recently created versions of a selected View and Life Cycle State. Available for part and CAD document structures.

To get the design from a specific event in time

Baseline

Expand the structure using versions captured in a previously created baseline. Available for part and CAD document structures.

To see the configuration of a product based upon serial number or lot

Unit Effectivity

Expand the part structure using part versions assigned a specified serial number, lot number, or lot/serial number effectivity. Available for part structures only.

To see the configuration of a product based upon date

Date Effectivity

Expand the part structure using part versions assigned a specified date, or date and time effectivity. Available for part structures only.

To Get the data related to a promotion request

Promotion Request

Expand the structure using versions referenced by a specified promotion request. Available for part and CAD document structures.

To get back the CAD data that the user had successfully regenerated and checked in

As Stored

Expand a CAD document structure according to a baseline automatically created when the CAD model is stored. Available for CAD document structures only.

More detail can be found in the Help section on Change and Configuration Management:

http://www.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc101_hc/index.jspx?id=CCMOviewIntroduction&action=show

To answer your question above - Baselines support typing and soft attributes

Top Tags