cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

ProjectLink - Estimated Start and End date changes to actual start and actual end dates

RaviM
9-Granite

ProjectLink - Estimated Start and End date changes to actual start and actual end dates

In the automatically executed project plan, the Estimated Start date is getting set to the Actual Start date when the activity starts and the Estimated End date is getting set to Actual end date when the activity is completed.

Due to this the estimated start and end dates are always same as the actual start and end dates for running or completed activities.

Because of this behavior we are not able to track delayed activities.

Is there any solution to this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II
(To:RaviM)

HI @RaviM 

1. I know, it is difficult to find the best solution. I would create some custom automation to do so if the plan is started. (I 've never done it)

2. it is not so complicated, Just set active baseline and check Variances

Variances shows difference between baseline estimated Start and actual estimated start also estimated end. 

HelesicPetr_0-1679994657063.png

PetrH

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II

Hello @RaviM 

If you need to control the delay activities, you need to use plan baselines.

If you use plan baseline, then you can compare it and check what is delayed from the baseline to actual date.

Important point is to create baseline when the project plan is started.

PetrH

Thank you PetrH.

We have 2 challenges in this approach

1. Windchill does not create the plan baseline automatically and the user may miss creating it manually

2. Difficult to show the ontime / delayed activities on the reports

HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II

HI @RaviM 

1. I know, it is difficult to find the best solution. I would create some custom automation to do so if the plan is started. (I 've never done it)

2. it is not so complicated, Just set active baseline and check Variances

Variances shows difference between baseline estimated Start and actual estimated start also estimated end. 

HelesicPetr_0-1679994657063.png

PetrH

Thank you PetrH,

Looking forward to hearing from you about the development of the solution.

Meanwhile, we have asking the users to ensure they create baseline manually before starting the project.

We are also exploring customization to capture estimated start and estimated end dates into 2 attributes and use them for calculating the project delays. 

Thanks and regards

Ravi

RaviM
9-Granite

We have tried to work with the baseline, but not had much success. The users do not always create the baselines and the reports using the baselines become unreliable.

We are working out alternate approach to manage this, but its still work under progress.

Top Tags