cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

ProjectLink External Access

jschaaf
4-Participant

ProjectLink External Access

Hello All,

If using ProjectLink for external vendor/customer access how are you handling the security into the entire Windchill system?

Our internal IT security group wants us to use VPN with the need to create internal employee ID’s for each user.
This is a very cumbersome process and the performance takes a hit over the VPN.

It is my understanding you can control access (share to a project) the information you want a external source to consume?
I would think that would be the all the security needed.

We are just starting to look at this process and any best practices are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Schaaf

Honeywell ACS - Environmental and Combustion Controls
Global Mechanical Computer Aided Design Leader

1985 Douglas Dr. 

MN10-2489

2 REPLIES 2

John,

Any user in Windchill only sees the context that administration allows them to see. If you don’t add them to a project they can’t see it. We segregate customers to a specific customer role with access to a single customer folder within that project. We also have a specific profile for externals that prevents them from seeing anything beyond their scope.

Bob Lohbauer

Good topic, here are a couple of technology options that come to mind. My guess is you might have some of these already setup.

1- HTTPS – this isn’t a lot of work to configure and should certainly be done

2- Active Directory Integration – this is a good idea too as it controls user access/passwords etc

3- WindchillDS password strength etc – If you don’t do Active Directory, the Windchill LDAP (Windchill DS) can be adjusted to force password strength amongst other things. I believe the PTC knowledgebase has some info on the steps for this.

4- Reverse Proxy – this is a good anti-hacking mechanism

[cid:image001.gif@01CF7046.C96AB930]

Stephen Vinyard
Business Development Manager/Solution Architect
Top Tags