cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Rehost V2.0 for Windchill 10.0m040

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Rehost V2.0 for Windchill 10.0m040

I have read many posts about the rehost tool and its shortcomings as a viable product but from the timeframe these all appear to be directed at Rehost V1.0.

Has anyone developed a cheat sheet for setting up Rehost 2.0 to get through all of the settings and how they function?

Does the Rehost Utility V2.0 actually work better and cleanly for rehosting in preparation for an upgrade to 10.2?

Windchill/PDMLink 10.0 M040

Windows Server 2008r2

2 REPLIES 2
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

I can't speak to 10.0 specifically, but we are using version 2.0 with Windchill 10.2.

Basically you need to determine which modules your want to run.  There are four pre-defined processes that normally include certain modules, but really it's up to you.  For example, we don't run the "copy" module.  I handle file copying manually before I run the Rehosting tool.  Same goes for database export and import - I handle than manually myself.  Once you figure out what modules you want to run, you list them in one file to be processed by the script.

There is also a configuration file you need to pre-populate with all the relevant information about your source and target system.  Names, file paths, etc.  You only need to fill in the sections that apply to the modules you are intending to run.

Once both of these files are complete, run the script and see what happens! 

By the way, Rehosting utility 3.0 was just released this week, so you may want to take a look at that instead.  Here is a list of the changes/improvements:

Modules:

• AppRename

Removed, and combined with InfoEngine, Apache and Database tasks when target.wc.webapp is added

• IEAdapter

Removed and combined with InfoEngine

All Adapters will have connection settings set to match the default adapter (for safety)

New properties allow for customer to control the additional adapters.

For example:

target.ldap.hostname.enterprise=newLdapServer.mycompany.com

target.ldap.renameAdapter.enterprise.newName=com.newdomain.Ldap

target.ldap.deleteAdapter.com.test1.Adapter=true

target.ldap.setAdapterAttributes.administrative=

Commands:

• setAuth has been combined with rehost.
  • Rehost will prompt for DB passwords after the Copy (for clone or move)
  • This works around the '2 stage' limitation in 2.0

Processing:

• Windchill Server does not need to be started for Vault task.
  • SelectiveContent and ValidateMount need :
    • lib/wcRehost.jar copied to <Windchill_Home>/lib/
    • Apache and MethodServer started
  • Xconfmanager managed properties aren't propagated until the end, so properties files may not look right if there's a failure in rehost.
  • Backup has been improved but recovery is still manual
  • Debug log is now RehostUtility.log
MatthewKnight
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

Tom, have you tried a rename with the 3.0 Rehost Utility?  I copied the properties (being sure to set the correct values) from the rename example in the 3.0 guide, but it's not working for me.  Only using, InfoEngine, Apache, and Database, my validation is failing for target.httpserver.home and source.ldap.serviceName.  And I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but do you know if the *serviceName properties should be reversed so that they match the adapter servicenames?

I've considered just manually changing the properties and confs, and updating the repositories and vault hosts myself, but I'd really like to get the utility working for future use.

Top Tags