cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Suggestions for Preparing for Upgrade to WC from ILink 3.4

lsrutkowski
1-Newbie

Suggestions for Preparing for Upgrade to WC from ILink 3.4

The company I am with is currently using a somewhat kluged Intralink 3.4 system for our CAD data management. What I mean by kluged is that it has not been monitored or maintained properly for over 6 years and has been upgraded in this manner from 3.0 to 3.4 in steps over that time. The end result is a mess of policies and controls that leave my head spinning.

We are now looking at moving from Intralink to Windchill (either 9.1 or 10) PDM Link. Knowing that this is a major change and that it will require a database conversion/migration, I see this as the perfect opportunity to "clean up the mess" that has been left from the past. The only problem is that I know almost NOTHING about managing a system like Windchill.

What I do know:
-I need a server
-I need Oracle 11g
-I need LOTS of help
-Did I mention the LOTS of help since I am going to be in WAY over my head soon?

What I do not know:
-What size server? I was thinking of getting something with 12-16 cores worth of CPUs (split between 2 sockets) and a minimum of 64Gig of RAM which I would split into 3 systems with VMWare (app server for Windchill, database server for Oracle, storage server for data). Is this a good method?
-Oracle Standard or Enterprise? We are looking at a "weighted user" (by the PTC method) of only about 25 users (with a projected potential of as many as 50).
-What OS is good for the server? Solaris? RedHat? Server2003/2008?
-What sort of training is appropriate? Do I need a class on Oracle database management? Javascript? Java? RedHat management?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! I have started to try to read the documents on Windchill installation/maintainance/upgrading/CAD integration, but that is about 3000 pages that assume that I already understand some of the basics behind server management.

-Lawrence

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Lawrence, for server sizing you can take a look at the various guideline docs at ptc.com. This one is for 9.1 Windows env but you can look for one that is specific to your env.

PTC's Precision LMS training courses are a valuable resource for getting oriented with all the modules and their configuration.

Mike Foster
ATK

He needs lots of help and will be in way over his head.....ha
Nice..
Top Tags