cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

User Defined Categories - Windchill Risk and Reliability

A_Wiliams
7-Bedrock

User Defined Categories - Windchill Risk and Reliability

Has anyone successfully transferred "User Defined Categories" from an older Teams Project when up-converting to a new Teams Project?

When the conversion is complete, all the User Defined Categories in the new project are preceded with the dreaded ~, meaning you lost the library. I've tried both conversion methods: on-the-fly and "convert older project". When using on-the-fly, the common library isn't converted that the old project used. If I use Convert Older Project, and direct it to the old top level file folder, the Common Library is transferred, but it's empty...what's the point???

So, it's obvious I'm doing something wrong, but all the references are followed. We have a lot of user defined categories and every time we convert, it's back to entering them again.

Please help with any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Vivek,

After multiple emails with Adam Labonte, I figured out that our users lost the Teams Common Library - they moved lan copies of the files around and when converting, the process didn't know where the library was.

The Common Library is a powerful feature, but figuring out how it's integrated within a Teams Project, across multiple sites (in our case) is difficult based on the help documentation. For example, it's critical to get the Directory Options setup even before creating a Team Project (which I believe is part of the issue we had...someone used the project and didn't have the Common Library Directory setup correctly). Anyway, I've been using RELEX/WQS/WRR for a long time now, and the libraries seem to be difficult at every step. I'm trying to force everyone to use the Enterprise side, where I know the Common Library integrity is maintained, However, we still have a large number of Team Projects in pipeline. I'm hoping more data isn't lost.

Anyway, there's nothing further on this discussion topic regarding my issue. Adam pointed out a couple things and the help did provide a few answers as well.

Thank You,

Tony Williams

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi A_Wiliams,

Thank you for your question. 
I’d like to recommend to bring more details and context to your initial inquiry

It also helps to have screenshot(s) to better understand what you are trying to do in your process. 

This will increase your chances to receive meaningful help from other Community members. 

Regards,

Vivek N

Community Moderation Team

Vivek,

After multiple emails with Adam Labonte, I figured out that our users lost the Teams Common Library - they moved lan copies of the files around and when converting, the process didn't know where the library was.

The Common Library is a powerful feature, but figuring out how it's integrated within a Teams Project, across multiple sites (in our case) is difficult based on the help documentation. For example, it's critical to get the Directory Options setup even before creating a Team Project (which I believe is part of the issue we had...someone used the project and didn't have the Common Library Directory setup correctly). Anyway, I've been using RELEX/WQS/WRR for a long time now, and the libraries seem to be difficult at every step. I'm trying to force everyone to use the Enterprise side, where I know the Common Library integrity is maintained, However, we still have a large number of Team Projects in pipeline. I'm hoping more data isn't lost.

Anyway, there's nothing further on this discussion topic regarding my issue. Adam pointed out a couple things and the help did provide a few answers as well.

Thank You,

Tony Williams

Top Tags