cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Where to record changes?

pwilliams-3
11-Garnet

Where to record changes?

For those of you using WTParts with associated CAD Documents and additionally using the Change Process, where do you record the text for the change? I can see multiple possible locations where those types of change comments can be entered.

1. In the Change Request Description field.

2. In the Change Notice Description field.

3. In the Change Activity Description field.

a. In the Affected/Resulting Objects Comments field for the specific object.

For example if I change the CAD Document model do I record the change in the Comments field on that object or on the associated WTPart? What about when there is a CAD Document drawing change? Can some of you share your current practices?

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | o: 616.698.3766 | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image002.jpg@01CD22D7.96D38510]

3 REPLIES 3

We record changes in the effected/resulting objects comments. Any change on the drawing(s) goes with .drw comments.

A critical part or asm parameter change goes with the .prt or .asm cad file.

The biggest help with CR/CN has been creating additional attributes and having these attributes display right on the info pages. Also

making certain fields required or set to a specific format helps all CR and CN look consistent. We've found just listing all the changes

in the description field gets too confusing and each user would tend to list all the items differently.

Hi Ed,

Do you mind to sum up the extra attributes you added to the ECR, ECN and Change Tasks? Although they might be rather specific to your environment, they could inspire others, including myself.

Tia, Hugo.

<< ProE WF3 - PDMLink 9.1>>

Hugo,

Since our change process is quite simple (Just the CR, CN and 1 task in the Implementation Plan), we've only had to add just four additional attributes. For now we've just added Sold To, Open Orders, New Cust Dwgs and Review Team as required fields when creating the CR. Using the attribute constraints, some of the fields have specific format constraints as well as being required input, this way regardless of who creates the CR the info will always be there and look the same. We've also modified the CR info page to always display these attributes, in addition the same attributes appear on the CN info page. We're running 9.1, so some of these changes involved modifying the info.jsp pages for the CR and CN. For folks with more involved CM process, they should be able to add as many extra attributes as required.

One other item that our Windchill lite users really appreciate, is a simple CR, CN, Imp Plan report that is contained on a single page. It basically summarizes bits and pieces from the various pages in one simple and concise report. This we had a fellow ptcuser.org member create for us, as certainly in 9.1 it takes quite a bit of hunting around to track down all this info.

Hope this info helps

Top Tags