cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Windchill 10.2 Revision edit help!

MSC12
1-Newbie

Windchill 10.2 Revision edit help!

Our company recently started using windchill and currently I am the one in charge of moving all our parts into the database. Things are moving slowly but everything seems to be going in fine. The problem were running into however is with the products 'Revision" state. I need a way to manually choose what revision the part is. I can select a part and press "Revise" but that only moves the part one revision step (from A to B for example). Some of the parts I am imputting are on their 15th or 20th revision so it would be impractical to do this for every part. Is there anyone that can help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JeffZemsky
17-Peridot
(To:MSC12)

Rather than manually inputting have you considered using Import from Excel? This might simplify your work.

If you need to set the revision on creating a Part or Document there is a Profile action that you can enable to support this - it is exposed with the following Profile actions

profile.png

There is also a set of Preferences to set as well

preference.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

All new objects are created at the first state unless you load from comand line - no way around this in the UI.

Might be a good thing though - get all loaded and then Promote all to Released after check.

I can change the states of all the objects simply enough. Once theyre all checked in I can select them all and "set state" as released. This is fine but every thing I upload into windchill is put in as Revision A. I need to find a way to manually select that the object is in fact revision S or G or whatever that object is.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

For non-CAD Documents (WTDoc's) and WTParts you can do a slight customization that allows creating at an advanced Rev. I'm not aware of how it can be done for CAD Doc's. You say above you are responsible for "parts" - does this mean non-CAD Doc's, CAD Doc's or WTParts or all?

Im only concerned with being able to edit the revision of a CAD document.

JeffZemsky
17-Peridot

Rather than manually inputting have you considered using Import from Excel? This might simplify your work.

If you need to set the revision on creating a Part or Document there is a Profile action that you can enable to support this - it is exposed with the following Profile actions

profile.png

preference.png

Jeffrey L. Zemsky wrote:

We are revising our file folder stucture on the change so manually was simplier. Its mostly all uploaded so really the bulk of the work is done, just need to figure this little hang up out. Im fairly new to the software still. Can you explain what you mean by profile action? That looks like the right setting but for some reason its not showing up for me! This is what I see:

Capture.PNG

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine

Chris,

Is revision A the revision that the CAD is being created at originally? And revision S or G is what you ultimately want?

Just looking for a little simpler/cleaner way to do things...there is a command line utility that you can use to change the revision letter of your objects. From a Windchill shell:

windchill wt.vc.ChangeRevisionLabelUtility -username wcadmin -password <password> -newRev <S or G or whatever> -oid wt.epm.EPMDocument:<id on the information page>

In this URL (the information page of the CAD document):

http://<Windchill>/servlet/TypeBasedIncludeServlet?oid=VR%3Awt.epm.EPMDocument%3A385899432&u8=1

the number 385899432 is the ID.

Therefore if I wanted that CAD document to be S instead of A, then I run this command:

windchill wt.vc.ChangeRevisionLabelUtility -username wcadmin -password <password> -newRev S -oid wt.epm.EPMDocument:385899432

Note that this effectively changes the A.1, A.2, and A.3, etc to S.1, S.2, and S.3. This may or may not be to your benefit.

See CS31039.

Does this seem useful in your case? The trouble will be getting the IDs of everything you want to revise. But if you want to go down that path, this forum can help you query those values also.

MSC12
1-Newbie
(To:BenPerry)

BEN PERRY wrote:

Chris,

Is revision A the revision that the CAD is being created at originally? And revision S or G is what you ultimately want?

That is correct. Windchill defaults all the CAD documents I check in as Rev A. I think this solution is exactly what I am looking for. I am going to test it then report back! Thanks!

MSC12
1-Newbie

This is the correct answer. I was in a USER setting not the SITE setting so thats why I couldnt see the correct prefference. Thanks!

Top Tags