cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Windchill 13 Support End Date

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Windchill 13 Support End Date

Does anyone know why there is no overlap between the support end dates for Windchill 13.0.1.x and 13.0.2.x?  Why would PTC plan to release something that 5 days later will no longer be supported?

TomU_0-1710524447560.png

It really seems like each subsequent CPS for 13.0.1.x should push the support end date a little further out.  At a minimum, there should be a decent amount of overlap (at least a year) between when 13.0.2.0 ships and when support for 13.0.1.5 ends.

None of our customers want to risk switching to Windchill 13.0.1.x with the support end date so quickly approaching.  Everyone is upgrading to 12.1 instead, which is unfortunate because going directly to 13 would have avoided a second upgrade project in the future (assuming they still go to 13 at some point.)

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:TomU)

That is a revised date for the release of 13.0.2. It used to say Q2 2024.

I never plan on installing a Windchill initial release XX.0.0 or the first release X.0.1 because they typically have short term life. 

I was initially looking at going from 12.0.2 to 13.0.2 but with the support window closing on 12.0.X of June 30, 2024 and the closeness of the 13.0.2 release I am working on using 12.1.2 for the next 12-15 months. Then I will see where PTC is with 13.0.2 or 14.0.2.

With the release of 13.0.2 now being delayed, there is a "chance" that the end of support for 12.0.2.x may be extended. But that is speculation at best.

jbailey
17-Peridot
(To:BenLoosli)

What is interesting, they seem to have updated the amount of time Windchill 12.1.x will be supported. Up until a few months ago ( I am pretty sure... or maybe I misread) , it was only supported 6 months beyond  12.0.2. we have extended support, so I plan on moving to 13.0.2 since I can stay in a supported path and minimize upgrades.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jbailey)

It has been for the 12,,x.x.x releases that the 12.x.2.x release is the long term release. 12.0.0.x, 12.0.1.x, 12.1.0 and 12.1.1.x have all been 6-9 months of active support. The 12.0.2.x and the 12.1.2.x releases have the long term support dates. They appear to be doing the same for 13.

Because of this, I only load the X.X.2.X releases. Running 12.0.2.12 in production and 12.1.2.7 in testing.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Stated another way, there is no version of Windchill available today that will not need to be upgraded again before the end of the next year (in order to stay on support).  This is a problem for many of our customers right now.  There should always be something currently available that will be supported for at least three years.  Right now, there is nothing.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

There should always be an overlap of the long-term supported versions end dates of at least 6 months.

13.0.2 is now slated for release July 2024. No changes to end of support dates for prior releases. 

Top Tags