cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Windchill Database Storage Overview

bbusschers
7-Bedrock

Windchill Database Storage Overview

Hello,

I am looking for a way to generate/receive a report from Windchill with information concerning the amount of data maintained in the Windchill database.
This data storage list should be divided or splitted up per contextbox.
Something like this:
Windchill Total data storage 800 Gb.
Contextbox A: 600 Gb

Contextbox B: 200 Gb.
Is this functionality available within Windchill?

regards,
Bert

MCAD Mananger Benchmark
4 REPLIES 4

You can use the Query Builder tool to create a report that does what you are asking for.

Below are a couple of examples from which to prepare a report that extracts the information you are interested in.

Report to list the count of EPM Documents in each context with total file size

Report to count the number of documents by different document types

Here the Knowledge Hub article on Business Reporting in Windchill

Marco

Doable for sure but can you more clearly define what you’re looking for?

Are you looking for how much space objects by context (Org, Product or Library) are consuming in the database or are we talking the sum of content file size in file vault folders (or database if  storing content t in BLOBS in the dB)?

Or maybe both?🤷‍♂️

Hello Graham,

In our case the different Product Lines have their own Contextbox.

I looking for the possibility to generate a Management Report containing the information
how many data we are managing per productline and in the whole Windchill database.
That is the primary wish.

I can imagine that later on the wish pops-up to include also information how many files per contextbox/vault exists and what the status
of these files is. (At this moment we are using 1 vault.) 
But to avoid a complex scripting or application writing, the first wish is data information per contextbox.
I hope this is the extra information you are looking for.

Thanks.
Bert

MCAD Mananger Benchmark

Can you define what is a ContextBox? Do you just mean Context like a Product area or library? If so, then yes, it still can be done via a QueryBuilder report. There are a number of object that are content folders. Namely those are WTDocuments, EPMDocuments, Change Objects and Visualization objects. If you can generalize, a single report might be possible. Otherwise, you might have to create a few reports that are specific to the object type and then use a union to bring them together.  For example, I wrote this SQL query which looked specifically at EPMDocuments since it was the largest content holders in the areas. It summarized the data by Product context. I was looking at purging so I can see what areas I can recover space (bloat) from. The key is the linking to Application Data and the filesize that was recorded.

SELECT P.IDA2A2 CONTEXT_ID, P.NAMECONTAINERINFO CONTEXT_NAME, COUNT(*) TOTAL_PURGABLE_FILES, ROUND((SUM(A.FILESIZE)/1048576),2) TOTAL_BLOAT_FILESIZE_IN_MB
FROM 
( SELECT M.DOCUMENTNUMBER, M.IDA2A2 MASTERID, E1.IDA2A2 ITER_ID, E1.ITERATIONIDA2ITERATIONINFO ITERATION, E1.BRANCHIDITERATIONINFO BRANCH
 FROM EPMDOCUMENT E1, EPMDOCUMENTMASTER M
 WHERE 
 E1.IDA3MASTERREFERENCE = M.IDA2A2) ITERATIONS, 
 EPMDOCUMENT E2, PDMLINKPRODUCT P, APPLICATIONDATA A, HOLDERTOCONTENT H
WHERE
E2.IDA3MASTERREFERENCE = ITERATIONS.MASTERID AND
E2.LATESTITERATIONINFO = 1 AND
E2.BRANCHIDITERATIONINFO = ITERATIONS.BRANCH AND
E2.STATESTATE = 'RELEASED' AND
E2.IDA3CONTAINERREFERENCE = P.IDA2A2 AND
ITERATIONS.ITERATION < (E2.ITERATIONIDA2ITERATIONINFO - 1) AND
H.IDA3A5 = ITERATIONS.ITER_ID AND