cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Publishing PDFs

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock

Publishing PDFs

We're currently publishing our drawing files as PDFs. One of the problems that was recently pointed out to me is when some symbols appear to shift dramatically during the publishing process.

I've narrowed down what I believe is the culprit. When created a PDF directly from Creo 2 (File > Save a Copy) we are given the Font option of either Use True Type Fonts (default) or Stroke All Fonts. When I leave it on the default, it appears the same as our published PDFs. When I change it to Stroke All Fonts, everything appears as it does when printing directly from Creo.

Is there a way to make the publisher use the Stroke All Fonts option when creating PDFs?

(Even better, is there a way to make this the default regardless of the source of the PDF? Creo and the publisher?)

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

On 09/25/13 08:45, Don Senchuk wrote:
>
> We're currently publishing our drawing files as PDFs. One of the problems that was recently
> pointed out to me is when some symbols appear to shift dramatically during the publishing process.
>
> I've narrowed down what I believe is the culprit. When created a PDF directly from Creo 2 (File >
> Save a Copy) we are given the Font option of either Use True Type Fonts (default) or Stroke All
> Fonts. When I leave it on the default, it appears the same as our published PDFs. When I change it
> to Stroke All Fonts, everything appears as it does when printing directly from Creo.
>
> Is there a way to make the publisher use the Stroke All Fonts option when creating PDFs?
>
> (Even better, is there a way to make this the default regardless of the source of the PDF? Creo
> and the publisher?)
>

Check out the config.pro option intf2d_out_stroke_text. Set to:
intf2d_out_stroke_text all

>
> ----------

--

in the receipe editor you can set this. Advanced tab -> PDF Output Setup -> and set the Font Control to "Stroked, searchable text"

Hello

I don't know if this is off topic or not, but it concerns publishing DRW's to PDFs.

The problem we have is that with PDF publishing, we don't get a thumbnail, like you do with PLT publishing.

I am speaking of 2 locations & I don't know if both are considered thumbnails or not.

1st is on the detail page of DRW, where the top left image (1 1/2" by 1 1/2") that hyperlinks to the creo viewer of the PDF. With the PLT, it shows the drawing, which I assume is a thumbnail, but larger than the small one on the content page/tab.

Then on the actual content page/tab of the DRW, where the actual representation thumbnail resides. Its a much smaller image link.

I put in a ptc call, but you know how that goes. They call within 2 hours & know when you're away from your desk & cant get another call for a week or 2.

I would research on the wvs docs, but that's 2 days worth & so very detailed with useless info. Major learning curve.

If anybody has resolved the thumbnail for DRW PDF's issue, I would appreciate a response here or email.

cadjett@aol.com for here
datajett@aol.com where I view more often.

Thanks
Larry Jett

I finally got my thumbnail worker working. Here are my steps:

I attached a doc with screen captures.

DRW PDF Thumbnail Worker Creation Steps:

These steps are for Windchill 10.0 M020 & Creo View Adapters 1.0 M020. Windchill 10.1 suggestions will be included, but have not been tested.

These steps are assuming the ProE Worker is already installed, configured & working. Along with your DRW’s are publishing to PDF’s.

From PTC Guide MCADAdaptersInstallConfigGuide.pdf (Normally C:\ptc\creo_view_adapters\documentation\MCADAdaptersInstallConfigGuide.pdf)

-1-

On the remote publishing system: Install Acrobat Reader X (10) for Windchill 10.0 or Reader XI (11) for Windchill 10.1.

Below is as Acrobat Reader download link, which has 10 & 11.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=Windows&product=1

You will need to turn off default Security settings. Open the Reader Window & Select “Edit” &“Preferences”.

For Reader X (10), select “General” in the“Categories” on the left.
Select “General” & make sure to uncheck the“Enable Protected Mode at startup” checkbox at the bottom of the “Preferences” Window.

Click "Select Default PDF Handler" also. This will re-set the default PDF handler. This might want to restart your machine. Restart Later, so you can apply the Enable settings changes. Then select “OK” to apply the changes.

For Acrobat Reader XI (11), select “Edit” &“Preferences” again.
But instead select “Security (Enhanced)” in the“Categories” on the left.

Then select the “Protected View” “Off”radio button. Then select “OK” to apply the changes.

This step might need to be done later, but the step is required before the Thumbnail worker will work.

-2-

Run \pview_batch\resources\acrobat\CreoView_Acrobat_Plugin.msi

Normally C:\ptc\creo_view_adapters\pview_batch\resources\acrobat\CreoView_Acrobat_Plugin.msi

I don’t have an image of the config window, because after it works, it won’t appear again.

But it explains itself & will let you know if you have the wrong Acrobat Reader version.

I accepted default install location folder.

-3-

Using Windows Explorer, browse to the “\bin” directory& Double-click pvsthumb_config.exe.

The “Thumbnail Generator Configuration” dialog box opens.

In the window labeled “Server Host”, enter the Windchill Server Host.Domain. If the “Server Port” does not default to 5600, enter that port.

You can choose whatever “Setup Directory” folder that you desire, I think.

Make sure “Enable PDF Support”, “Create pvsthumbbatch” & “Create pvsthumbworker” are all checked.

Then select “Setup” & “Exit” to complete the configuration.

This Configuration tool creates the important“C:\pvsthumb_setup\pvsthumbworker.bat” & multiple other files as shown in image below:

The “C:\pvsthumb_setup\pvsthumbworker.bat” path & file are used when Configuring your THUMBNAIL worker.

To verify you are using the proper settings, you should use the same “Server Host” & “Server Port” as your ProE Worker.

To obtain those, you can go to the proe_setup folder & Double Click the “adapter.pvi” to view the ProE Worker Configuration:

The “Creo Parametric Adapter Configuration” window will appear:

Make sure to select “Exit” & not“Setup”, because you are only viewing this info.

In am effort to verify your ProE worker configuration settings& copy for the THUMBMAIL worker.

-4-

To create your THUMBNAIL worker, you go to Windchill in your web browser & Select “Site” &“Utilities”. Select “Worker Agent Administration”.

Select the “Configure” link.

From the Window that appears, select “Add Worker”:

Select “THUMBNAIL” worker drop down options &“Next”:

Select “A different Windows NT machine” &“Next”.

In the “Execute command” text area, enter the previously created bat & path:“C:\pvsthumb_setup\pvsthumbworker.bat”.

Set any other options as shown below. Then Select“Next”.

Then enter “601” in the “Port Number” text area & select “Next”.

Enter “\\\worker” for “Windchill Machine Path” & “c:\ptc\worker” for “” “Path (Worker):”.

These are the same as your ProE Worker settings. Or you can select your own, I think. Then Select “Next”.

Verify Your Settings & Select “Apply”.

Selecting “Apply” should take you back to the“Worker Agent Administration” Window. If not, go there from “Site” & “Utilities”.

Your THUMBNAIL Worker should show. It or Both Workers might not have “Status” On. Just as you would start you PROE Worker, Either select “Start all” to catch both, or select the Non On Worker(s). Any Green Flag warrants a Start. Mouse over Flags to view what they stop/start.

-5-

To specify the use of a thumbnail worker, instead of a locally installed thumbnail generator, set“thumbnail.usecadagent=true” in the wvs.properties file.

Through site.xconf:

targetFile="codebase/wvs.properties"

value="true"/>

Then run “xconfmanager –p” from a Windchill Shell, to propagate in Windchill & update your wvs.properties settings.

Stop/Start Windchill to update.

Step 4 & 5, might need to be changed in order.
Or “Stop All” & “Start All” of Workers or Monitors might need to be repeated, after changing wvs.properties.

Any of the above 5 steps might need to be adjusted in order, but they are all required.

If anybody catches an error or typo, plese let me know & I will update this post, the doc, etc

L Jett
datajett@aol.com,cadjett@aol.com

Top Tags