cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

how to segregate assembly parts based on assembling stages .

mp-3
1-Newbie

how to segregate assembly parts based on assembling stages .

Hi Team,.

For example I have 100 feature (including parts & assemblies) in main assembly model. I need to segregate the BOM table based on assembling sequences, like first 10 features are stage#1, next 50's are stage #2 and goes on.

How to make these into BOM table ? some parts & subassemblies are may repeat in further stages...

I thought to add simplified rep. report symbol in BOM table to segregate, but I couldn't find such report symbol for simp rep.

Then I was searched report symbol for feature ID in assembly components, this also I didn't get..

please share your ides to do it.

Thanks in advance

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9
DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:mp-3)

How about making assembly family table where you name instances based on stages and then you turn off parts which are not in those stages?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

My first choice would be to use Pro/Process for Assembly. It's an optional Creo extension that allows you to use your assemblies without modifying the engineering data and adding manufacturing sequences. It's really made for what you are wanting to do. I don't know what license package it comes with. You would need to talk to your PTC rep or your CAD management people to find out if you have Pro/Process for Assembly.

My second choice would be to make my sub-assemblies match my assembly stage process. I know that sometimes assembly sequences are not suitable for engineering documentation though so this may not work for you.

You could do this using simplified reps by adding multiple reps and bom tables but it would get really messy and hard to manage.

As Davor suggested, you could probably do it using family tables, but with a significant number of components, it would probably be difficult to manage.

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock

As Stephen Williams mentioned, Pro/Process is the best method.

If you don't want to or can't purchase that, I'd go with Simplified Reps. Once you get the method worked out it's pretty easy to do, just repetitive.

I did once see a user create a new assembly for each stage, assemble the current top level into it, then use Simp Reps to omit certain components. He claimed it was easier but I didn't see why. The other reason I could see that being a viable method is if the main assembly was in a non-modifiable state (released) so he couldn't add his Simp Reps to it. Then assembling it into a new assembly file would have allowed him to omit the unwanted pieces without needing to check out the main assembly.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Pro/Process is great and not hard to learn. I think it has a new name in the Creo world, but I can't remember what it is.

If all you're concerned about is the BOM table and not the views being accurate, you could create a component parameter in the assy representing assembly step, show it in your BOM table and sort by that parameter. You could even then filter the table by that parameter and have a dedicated table for each assy step.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Interesting idea with the component parameters. How would you use that method to account for something like 10 pieces of something used in step 1 but then another 15 of the same piece used in step 3? I feel like my BOM table mojo is good but not great but I can't see a way around that one.

Full disclosure - This is an idea I haven't actually tried or perhaps thought through fully enough.

Each instance would have it's own component parameter, so the first 10 would have a value of "1", the next 15 a value of "3".

However, I'm not sure how you'd get the BOM table to work. In theory the component parameter difference would separate them in the table, but would you then end up with 25 lines in the table? I dunno. My repeat region mojo is fairly weak, unfortunately, but it seems like there ought to be a way. I've got no time to dig into it unfortunately.

--
LinkedIn

No worries. I was just anticipating running into this stuff when our Mfg Eng department really gets running with Creo. The current plan is a separate sheet with separate BOM for each simp rep. This would probably serve their purpose but if something simpler were available (that I didn't have to purchase; pro/process) I'd be interested.

FWIW - Pro/Process isn't a stand alone add on that I'm aware of, I believe it's bundled in Advanced Assembly (AAX) so you may already have it and just don't know. It's very easy to use as I recall. Did some digging and according to this thread I guess it's called "Process Plan" now or at least that's what you should search the help for.

--
LinkedIn
vzak
6-Contributor
(To:dgschaefer)

Doug,

Your "component parameter for BOM" proposal will definitely work, and it's the easies if only assembly order is needed. Repeat Region can handle component parameters. The only (little) problem is that assigning these parameters will modify owner assemblies ... hope this is not an issue.

Pro/PROCESS for Assemblies is an ultimate solution though, it has perfect Drawing support and automation - but might be a little "over" if all what's needed is a sequence number.

Regards

- Vlad

Top Tags