cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Defined view query?

JShown
2-Guest

Defined view query?

How can I duplicate a defined view orientation in one assembly or part into a different assembly or part? Is there a way to query a defined view in an assembly to find out what the angles are that were used?

I have a drawing that has a view that was defined in the drawing by spinning it in the drawing. I would like to duplicate this view orientation in another drawing since it is a family of assemblies.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:JShown)

That is a tough one. Somewhere the view transformation is saved but I am not sure how to input it with a new view creation.

James62
10-Marble

Could it be one of the views listed at the webpage bellow?

Archive of Pro/ENGINEER tips, April 1999

JLG
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

If you've got an oddball view that you need to copy and you don't have any datum planes, axes, etc. that readily define it, you can do the following.

1. In the original model, set the view to one you wish to copy.
  2. In that model, create a coordinate system and use an existing default csys to define the origin.
  3. On the orientation tab of the dialog, select "Set Z Normal To Screen"; it will fill in the rotation about the 3 axes for you.
  4. You can copy these numbers and use them in your other model to create a new coordinate system which will be created in the same manner.
  5. Create the new view based on the axes of the new coordinate system.

There are alternative ways to get the coordinate system -- e.g., using transforms (in the first model save measured transform info to a file, create the new csys using offset type "from file"), or simply copying the csys feature from the old file to the new file. Any way you'd like to do create the csys, you can use that csys to create the new view.

FYI, my UI descriptions refer to Creo Parametric 2.0. If you're on another version with a different UI, you'll have to hunt for the same commands; this capability has been around a very long time.

-----

I just woke up to the fact that you need a drawing view, not a model view. I've never found a way to duplicate the exact orientation of a drawing view. Usually I find an approximation that works well enough, just by eyeballing it. If you need something closer, you could superimpose one over the other (temporarily merge drawings and put one view over the other) and keep fiddling till it's close enough to suit you.

I agree, it would be right nice to be able to extract the view orientation and use it on another drawing. Perhaps a toolkit or J-Link application can do that.

JShown
2-Guest
(To:JLG)

JLG,

This worked like as described.  It was hard to convince people that this could be done. The default CSYS of each part or assembly must be in the same orientation; x-axis pointing in the same direction etc. to get the results you are expecting.  It took a couple of tries to realize this.

----

It was a model view that was actually being replicated since I always use named model views in the drawing.  It was just that I ran into in an assembly that was not duplicated from this first assmebly.

Jeff

Top Tags