cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

How can I edit the axis of a XY plot...(MATHCAD PRIME)

eleonaguilar
1-Newbie

How can I edit the axis of a XY plot...(MATHCAD PRIME)

How can I edit the axis of an XY plot so that my Y-axis goes in descending order (not negative values)? In Mathcad 15 I would just enter the numbers/range in which I wanted my axis to be and the function would move accordingly. In Mathcad Prime I don't seem to be able to do much editing.

11 REPLIES 11

Show please a task where you need to have an axis in descending order.

Use please not y(x) but -y(x).

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Depth.

Stuart

StuartBruff wrote:

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Depth.

Stuart

Depth := 0 m, -1 m..-10 994 m

Valery Ochkov wrote:

StuartBruff wrote:

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Depth.

Stuart

Depth is positive - ask any submarine crewmember ... unless you exceed crush depth, of course, in which case it is very negative.

Stuart

Soundings

Geothermal gradient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

StuartBruff wrote:

Valery Ochkov wrote:

StuartBruff wrote:

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Depth.

Stuart

Depth is positive - ask any submarine crewmember ... unless you exceed crush depth, of course, in which case it is very negative.

Stuart

Soundings

For a man - positive!

For a computer - negative.

Valery Ochkov wrote:

StuartBruff wrote:

Valery Ochkov wrote:

StuartBruff wrote:

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Depth.

Stuart

Stuart

Soundings

For a man - positive!

For a computer - negative.

Ah, but that it were so. By convention, depth is positive, and reflected in the equations that use it but also reflected in the plots where the surface (or equivalent 'surface' reference) is at the top (because you don't necessarily know where the bottom is!)).

Besides, my computer does what I tell it .... well, some of the time, anyway. 😞

Stuart

Depth is exactly what I intended to show on the Y-axis for the project I am working on. Starting with 0 as ground surface and show how the function changes with depth; therefore for visual clarification the ideal would be for 0 to be the top value and show for example 10feet below that. Visually, it makes no sense for 0 to be my lowest point and increase from there.

For your answers I presume there is no way to do that anymore. This is something that I used to be able to do quite easily with MC15.

By convention when IR spectra are plotted on a wavenumber axis the numbers are in descending order so that the spectrum is "the same way round" as a spectrum plotted on a wavelength axis. The same convention is usually applied to Raman spectra (where the axis is wavenumber shift from the exciting laser).

You can't reverse the x-axis in Prime. Prime has numerous limitations when compared to MC15, and this is just one of them.

That is such a shame. This is incredibly inconvenient given that most of my projects this is something that visually I need to be able to show.

Estela Leon Aguilar wrote:

That is such a shame. This is incredibly inconvenient given that most of my projects this is something that visually I need to be able to show.

If you're a Maintenance Customer, lodge a complaint or put a request in for it in the Ideas section. This is yet another of those absent features that need highlighting to PTC.

Stuart

Top Tags