cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Drive flexible dimension with parameter

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Drive flexible dimension with parameter

I have an assembly with a flexible sub-assy. I would like to drive the value for the flexible dimension with a parameter to avoid having to redefine the component placement just to get to the flexible item.

If I enter the parameter in the flexible value box, it responds 'invalid value'

Any hints?

Alternate already considered and is backup position is create a throw-away feature and drive that with parameter and the flexible item with a measurement on the throwaway feature, but I think that's a longer path.

It's still Parametric Technology; what's the parameter for the flexible dimension?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

I like the ability of using "alternate" values but the implementation is not the most robust.

I learned a couple of days ago that you cannot replace a flexible part.  First you have to remove the flexibility, and then you can replace it.

I also expect to see an edit option of the flexible parameter when you right click on the object in the model tree... but no!

Do you think maybe a flexible component is more like a family table "on the fly"?

They do use a family table on the fly, just like assembly cuts, and the information is stored in the referencing assembly. The dimensions of an assembly cut can be driven by relations and parameters, but not the dimensions of flexible items.

My basic rant on flexibility is that it should be only defined at the sub-assy/part level. The person making the original knows the items that can reasonably be altered at installation. I swear someone somewhere has decided to make a screw a different length using the flexible modifier and production can't figure out why the screw doesn't fit, even though it is clearly shown as fitting in the assembly and the part verifies as matching its own description.

Flexibility should be bottom-up and have dimensional limits available to ensure that only reasonable parts can be generated.

They also need to add a curvature controlled sketch element, both geometry generating and reference, so that flexible variations can be made of items that are conventionally flexible, like living hinges. Wouldn't it be nice to have an item that can deform from a CW bend to be straight to a CCW bend based on a single value?

Top Tags