cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Finding all solutions?

mjenner
1-Newbie

Finding all solutions?

In attached there is a system of two nonlinear equations. Graph indicates there are two solutions but Find only finds one of them.

Is there a best practice procedure for searching for other solutions? Maybe by creating a simple program to loop over the x domain (valid values of x) or what do you recommend?

Kind regards,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For correct solution:

1 .Guess values vectors should be placed before the solve block (why?)

2. The solution should be vectorized.

Syseq1.png

Viktor

Viktor

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

One simple solution:

2-roots.png

Sorry, Valery. Your solution is incorrect. Check please.

Syseq.png

Viktor

Viktor

Sorry, it is an error of Mathcad 15 and Prime too

I remember in Mathcad 11 all was OK with guess values as Viktor, pardon, vector!

For correct solution:

2. The solution should be vectorized.

Syseq1.png

Viktor

Viktor

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the usage of the vectorize function.

I've used the parameterization of the solve block and then defined a range variable to step through the guess values, but it seems the vectorize operation does this in fewer lines of Mathcad "code".

Michael

I think the guess values within the solve block are local to the solve block, so your call to the function S does not recognize them. If there are no local guess values then the solve block picks up on any definitions prior to the solve block, as does your call to the function S. I haven't tried this in Prime, but

Solve block function

Definition of x and y vectors

Call S with arguments x and y

should also work (i.e. you pass the guess values as arguments to the function). That certainly works in MC15.

Top Tags