cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to track replacement history in a structure?

cswaner
5-Regular Member

How to track replacement history in a structure?

Greetings Gurus,

Scenario:  Engineer creates a structure (CAD or Product) including Part A in the assembly.  Later the Engineer changes the BOM to replace Part A with Part B in the structure.  I need to be able to record the event that Part A superseded Part B, capture it in an attribute "Superseded By" and send it to ERP.

Is anyone out there doing something like this?  Does Windchill even track anything like this?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cam

4 REPLIES 4
kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:cswaner)

Hi Cameron,

Windchill has Supersedes/Superseded By linkages between WTParts.  It is global rather than per application/usage, and would relate to a part being made "Obsolete".

You reference the event that made the modification, which brings Change Management to mind.  The Change Notice would provide authorization and documentation of the change, as well as potentially the Effectivity (when the Change occurs in physical terms).  I have not used it but I recall a capability to include/attach a differences report.

cswaner
5-Regular Member
(To:kpritchard)

Hello Keir,

I would like to get more information about this.  Is this something you are using?  How do you implement this exactly? We are using WC 10.1 m050, what version of Windchill is this supported in?

Thanks for the help.

Cam

GregoryPERASSO
14-Alexandrite

Hi

the superseded link is released in 10.2

haven't test it in heavily. but can create it in a Change Activity (directly from impacted and resiulting datas tables) or "manually outside a change process" in the action menu

a specific table diplay a multi level superseded report  (you can directly see the case where A is replaced by B, and then B replaced by C , etc ...)

and a specific glyph appear on the Part info page to inform that it is now "obsolete/superseded"

Good feature that I'm waiting for a long time ....

A best practice can be also to use BOM line numbers or find numbers .  Notably if you use index baloons in your drawings.  Replace A by B at the same find number

regards

kpritchard
4-Participant

Gregory PERASSO‌ is correct, Supersession is a 10.2 thing... I don't recall if it was F000 or M010.

Nothing to implement really, it's out of the box.  The extent of implementation is adding a Tab and including Supersedes... I'll probably get around to doing as Admin so all users see it.

Using it when WTParts are made Obsolete.  Unfortunately, it requires manual/visual verification (checking).  I wish they had a Business Rule that you could use to evaluate Resulting Objects with an Obsolescence Transition (Release Target).

Screenshot below illustrates.  The active (Obsolete) Part is in bold and you can see the full chain...  the Part that the Obsolete Part superseded and the part it was superseded by.

Supesession.jpg

Top Tags