cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

equation spread over two pages

jmiocevich
1-Newbie

equation spread over two pages

Can someone please tell me how I can stop my equations from spreading over two pages?
I know there used to be an easy way to do this but I have forgotten howscreen.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:jmiocevich)

In Mathcad 15 you can split the expression to a new line at a summation operator, but (like many things) this is not available in Mathcad Prime.

One way, quite drastic really, is to use a smaller font.

Otherwise, you can split the expression into several lines.  If you've got a full licence, then use a program to define appropriate sub-expressions, each on a separate program line, and add them on the last program line.  If you've got Prime Express, then define your expression is several parts (eg, var:=expr_part_1   var:=var+expr_part_2 etc).

Stuart

Just to cover the bases...

I routinely use landscape orientation for the pages. It looks like that might work for the example you gave.

You can also select a larger page. If the page size options aren't big enough with your printer, then use a pdf converter (e.g. CutePDF) as your printer. Set it as your default printer for your computer. Then, all of the page sizes it recognizes (just about all possible) will show as options for you page size selection. I have used this approach with ISOA0 which is about 1 m wide. I am about to get it printed at Staples.

Yes, these two options aren't traditional, but for documenting a computer program, I think they are acceptable. Well, maybe not 1 m wide, but that one is for my own pleasure.

Harvey

If you find a page size that works, you don't have to print it at that size. Let's say you find that ISOA3 works in portrait orientation. Use CutePDF to save it in that size. Then, in Adobe Reader, select a printer that can print ISOA4, the next size down. That will in effect reduce the font by 0.707. If you jump down two sizes, it cuts the font size in half overall. You can't get a 50% reduction in font size in either Mathcad 15 or Prime 3. I think the document will still be readable for archival purposes.

Also, suppose you found out the landscape mode with your normal page size (e.g. ANSI A or ISOA4) works but you don't like the landscape orientation. Just go to the next larger size in that series and use portrait. The width of that size is the same as the length of the smaller size.

Sometimes I do so in Prime

long.png

Hi John,

I had the same problem recently when trying to use a polynomial with 21 terms. It was really long. Anyway, I was able to use the summation operator to define the equation and that worked really well. To make it work, The various terms of the polynomials were written into arrays and the summation operator referenced the array columns. Looks like this:

summations.jpg

I can send you the Mathcad file if you'd like to see it, just let me know.

Top Tags