cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Regarding WTpart structuring from CAD models.....how to handle cut to length items?

bradlawrence
9-Granite

Regarding WTpart structuring from CAD models.....how to handle cut to length items?

In our case, we have cut to length items such as fuel hoses, plastic tubing, foam strips, edge guards, etc that are bought in bulk, then they are cut to length on the assembly line. 

Today we create manual WTpart BOM's because we have not associated our CAD models to the WTparts yet, but getting ready to .

I am trying to figure on how to handle the cut to length components.  Our WTpart default unit is in inches per below which is carried over into our ERP (Oracle).

Capture.JPG

So I associate the CAD model to the WTpart, I am thinking it will be "image" association because the CAD model will be configured at a different routing each time.  The BOM quantity will show up as 1 instead of the required quantity (such as 30, for 30 inches of tubing).   How do I get it to show up as 30 ?

Any suggestions would be great

5 REPLIES 5
cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:bradlawrence)

Hi Brad,

In my previous company we had similar situation. We had cut to length chains, (so we could not have any length as a fraction of a link is not possible).

I must say it was not easy and for sure the situation can be improved.

We used the UoM  Each for each given length.

We have also tried with configuration. So when you need a length you configure it.

We have found that for each required length it was better to allocate a partnumber. Since partnumbers are allocated automatically, this was not a problem.

Not sure if that helps or if you want more détails.

Good luck...

Hi Brad

we handle this case in the Manufcaturing BOM with MPMLink

The "final" assembly id designed in Creo (for example an assembly with 3 hoses of lengh 10 inches).  So the resulting associated "built"  eBOM will have :

hose  qty=3 unit=each

So in MPMlink, we switch the assembly Wtpart view to "Manufacturing" and then adapt the mBOM to change quantity and unit to 30 inches... (in our case 35 inches cause the manufacturing process need more than the nominal finished lengh )

In our case, we try to not have too much "manufacturing" informations in the Design view.  Cause have in lot of case different Alternatives of mBOMs.  So can't put all the cases in the "design" CAD..   we create some inherit CAD model from the design for specific manufacturing steps

regards

We haven't found an elegant way to do this, as you cannot drive a quantity other than "each" from a Build Rule. So your WTPart with the Default UOM "inch" cannot currently be driven from CAD. Avoiding the obvious idiot idea of just sticking a BOM table on the drawing and hoping it gets handled correctly in Manufacturing, there are two approaches we have used.

One approach is to just associate the many different length CAD files as "content" (passive, no build), then manually manage the quantity of the WTPart in the structure. This at least lets the collector etc work and doesn't require any additional WTParts, but does requires human involvement to avoid missing the "inch" part from the WTPart BOM entirely.

Another method is to create a WTPart with default UOM "each" for every different length from CAD, then manually add the required quantity of the "inch" part as a component to the structure of the "each" WTPart (so your each component has a BOM showing a quantity of X inches of the inch part). Then you let CAD Drive the "each" into your WTPart structure via the Build rule, which drags in the required length of the "inch".

This second approach gets you a part number for each fixed length, which may actually be handy in ERP if you need to hold inventory or transact on the individual cut lengths. If not then in the ERP system you set the "each" to be a phantom and you get direct demand for the required quantity of the "inch" automatically. There is also probably an option to do something in Windchill using a gathering/phantom part, similar to the above approach. Still involves a somewhat unnecessary WTPart though.

Hi Lewis

I love that comment

"Avoiding the obvious idiot idea of just sticking a BOM table on the drawing and hoping it gets handled correctly in Manufacturing"

This reminds me when I told my previous company that we do not need BOM table on the 2D drawing. They thought I was crazy.

The same when I told them 2D drawings are not the most important part and actually 2D drawings are only a 2D representation and nothing else.

Unfortunately, I did not manage to entirely convert them and the drawings still have a BOM table (but at least it is no longer an ebom/mbom anymore but the list of components.....)

I like your second approach. I never thought of this approach before.  Something to try out.

Best regards

Top Tags