cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Can you set the WindChill "add to workspace" command to load a data set 'as stored' except for family table parts, which should be added as 'latest'?

mparmenteri
5-Regular Member

Can you set the WindChill "add to workspace" command to load a data set 'as stored' except for family table parts, which should be added as 'latest'?

I am in a unique situation where this feature would be significantly helpful. I am unable to add two assemblies (a sub-assembly and top level assembly) into my workspace. The easiest solution to my question is to load an assembly, then update any out of date table parts to latest from my workspace, but for some reason this causes an incompatibility error (which is not override-able) with the next assembly I add to my workspace.

This happens with several assemblies in my database and I am almost positive it is caused by incompatible versions of the same family table parts.

Thank you for any input.

3 REPLIES 3

I've run into this several times. Generally, it's caused by one or more instanced being deleted from a family table then, later, the assembly that used the now-deleted instance is used in a higher level assembly that uses a newer instance (thus a newer generic) of that component.

You'll have to fix the family table.

Figure out which instance is missing then follow CS4975.

Best practice to avoid this situation is to never delete family table instances. If there is an absolute need to get an instance out of a table (which should be a rare occurrence) , make it a stand-alone part instead of deleting it, which must happen before iterating the family table.

mparmenteri
5-Regular Member
(To:DonSenchuk)

Thank you Don,

This made the most sense of any reasons that I read of why this might be happening. Unfortunately, I am dealing with a large amount of family tables and cannot narrow down which one (or more likely, which ones) are causing the problem. At the very least, you have given me a solution going forward.

Matt P.

No problem.

I'm pretty sure the event manager will tell you which family table is incompatible. That doesn't address how long and hard the process may end up being to correct it, but it would at least give parts number to look into. I've had situations where I've corrected a family table only to then have another failure on the same assemblies and need to correct more family tables. It's a long, painful slog correcting past mistakes by other users.

Top Tags