cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Large Assembly Design-post your computer specs

kdavidson
1-Newbie

Large Assembly Design-post your computer specs

Hi,

We are looking at new hardware as we are on the low end of the spectrum, and have assemblies up to 10,000 parts in size.

If you run into challenges of assemblies over 5,000 parts-could you post your computer specs and maybe provide insight in how to invest money into a machine for it(GPU best $ for $/CPU Best to invest more in/ETC)

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:kdavidson)

This is what we've been buying the last 2 years or so

HP Z420 CONVERTIBLE MINI-TOWER WORKSTATION

-E5 1620 3.6G (better is available now)

-16GB RAM (we've gone to 32gb now)

-256GB SSD

-500GB SATA 7200rpm HDD

-DVD-RW

-QUADRO 4000 GRAPHICS

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
StephenW
23-Emerald II

This is what we've been buying the last 2 years or so

HP Z420 CONVERTIBLE MINI-TOWER WORKSTATION

-E5 1620 3.6G (better is available now)

-16GB RAM (we've gone to 32gb now)

-256GB SSD

-500GB SATA 7200rpm HDD

-DVD-RW

-QUADRO 4000 GRAPHICS

what size assemblies are you using?  Is it working well?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

We are in that 5000 component range, with pdmlink. We don't have particularly good modeling practices so that's a lot of our problem. usually our biggest problems are with drawings.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

If I could, I would go to a guy like Bernie Gruman‌ at Gruman Creations to have him custom build me a computer. He optimizes for you. Would help you determine what you needed and what you could do without.  We have corporate IT guidelines that limit where we buy computers from.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:StephenW)

I would go to a guy like Bernie Gruman at Gruman Creations to have him custom build me a computer.

I'll second that.  We switched all of Engineering computers to his overclocked versions and couldn't be happier. 

rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine
(To:StephenW)

We just switched to the Z230 HP Workstation with the i7 chip instead of the Xeon E5. I used the OCUS benchmark and got a 25% performance INCREASE going with the i7. Everything else was the same (SSD hard drives, NVIDIA Quadro 4000 class graphics). Also 32 Gb of RAM, which is the max with the Z230.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

We choose the faster processor available, multiple cores don't help Creo unless you are doing mechanica.

You can look at task manager on your current large assembly and see if you are running out of RAM, if so, add more RAM, fastest ram available)

I don't think anything helps with creo drawings, just my opinion, pro/e drawing mode has sucked for years and I'm assuming they will never do anything to fix it.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
Top Tags