cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Graph works in Mathcad15 but not Prime 3.1?

dsochor
5-Regular Member

Graph works in Mathcad15 but not Prime 3.1?

Attached is a short worksheet created in both Mathcad 15 and Prime 3.1. The graph at the end of the worksheet works in 15 but not Prime 3.1. I've attempted to make them the same but there is an error in the 3.1 program. Might folks know what is the error in the Prime 3.1 program?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:dsochor)

You misconstructed your function Fs(a), something around the Summation operator that is wrong.

I couldn't tell what is wrong, but I got an error requiring an integer: Changed N to 2, didn't help, so maybe something with the i=1 below the summation.

I rebuilt the Fs(a) function,  and then it worked.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

I can only look at your version 15 file (I don't have 3.1.)

One possible problem  is units:  in version 15 you need to divide your plot by the units you want; you have put in commas, making your units a second plot (note the dashed blue line under kips.)  Since Mathcad recognizes both kips and in as values it will plot your function (and not plot the blue line,)  but I'm not sure what that does to Prime after translation.

dsochor
5-Regular Member
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

Thanks Fred, that explains why the graphed valves in the 15 worksheet weren't as expected. That doesn't seem to help with the Prime worksheet though.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

You misconstructed your function Fs(a), something around the Summation operator that is wrong.

I couldn't tell what is wrong, but I got an error requiring an integer: Changed N to 2, didn't help, so maybe something with the i=1 below the summation.

I rebuilt the Fs(a) function,  and then it worked.

Success!
Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LucMeekes)

Nope, it's the 'i',  first parameter in the call to Fsi(i,a) in the summation operator that is offending. Probably it was interpreted as the imaginary i, because the error on the graph says to get rid of the imaginary data.

Success!
Luc

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Daniel Sochor wrote:

Attached is a short worksheet created in both Mathcad 15 and Prime 3.1. The graph at the end of the worksheet works in 15 but not Prime 3.1. I've attempted to make them the same but there is an error in the 3.1 program. Might folks know what is the error in the Prime 3.1 program?

Looks as if there may be a bug in Prime 3.1, or perhaps a misinterpretation on my part of how the summation operator works in Prime.  The problem arises in this expression (copied from the M15 version as I can just select, copy and paste ... just as I want):

Earlier in your worksheet, you've got i defined as a range variable (i=[1 2]).  It appears as if Fs is passing the range variable to Fsi rather than the value that the summation iterator value.   Changing i in the summation to k makes a graph appear.

Stuart

dsochor
5-Regular Member
(To:StuartBruff)

Thank you all very much, I retyped the Fs(a) function and it works. It looks exactly the same as previously but now it functions!

Top Tags