cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Customer stating CREO SIMULATE does not do FEA

rbrooks
1-Newbie

Customer stating CREO SIMULATE does not do FEA

I have recently had a report rejected by a customer with the following comment:

"The GEA done using Creo Simulate (Form what I can see). If this is the case then this is not FEA. The two techniques are mathematically very different and require different techniques to prove the answers you get out are correct."

Can any one help with this one? I have no idea what "GEA" is and the only information I can find states that CREO Simulate does FEA.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Using my Google-fu and a quick skim-read, it looks like GEA might have been a marketing term invented by Rasna (original creators of Mechanica) - or possibly a term for P-element as opposed to H-element analysis.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.engr.mech/5DFTwrF9EqQ (from 1994!)

Hello

This is just an information about RASNA.

Look at the bottom page 4 right.

Kind regards.

Denis.

After a bit of Googling it seems to mean "geometric element analysis".

The way I see it is that FEA stands for Finite Element Analysis, meaning you discretise your model into smaller chunks in order to make analysis easier. Whether you do that with hex blocks, tetraeders, or more complex discretisations is irrelevant.

Wikipedia seems to agree:

"A discretization strategy is understood to mean a clearly defined set of procedures that cover (a) the creation of finite element meshes, (b) the definition of basis function on reference elements (also called shape functions) and (c) the mapping of reference elements onto the elements of the mesh. Examples of discretization strategies are the h-version, p-version, hp-version, x-FEM, isogeometric analysis, etc. Each discretization strategy has certain advantages and disadvantages. "

Finite element method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does the customer have any substantive objections to your analysis, is he clueless, or is he just messing with you?

Top Tags