cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

New User Question about Learning SGML and FOSI

cstowe
1-Newbie

New User Question about Learning SGML and FOSI

Where can I go to begin learning about the basics of SGML and FOSI? My employer is interested in me being able to create and edit new FOSI files. Can anyone help me by pointing me to a place I can begin learning about writing SGML and FOSI files? I've had minimal luck finding any decent information on FOSI files.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Arbortext puts out a FOSI reference manual that you can access from the support Web site and it is ok, especially if you already have a FOSI to work with.

If you are currently suing SGML then stay with it, but if you have a choice go with XML which is a derivative of SGML and does not have to be compiled to use like the SGML DTDs in Arbortext need to be.

If you do not already have FOSIs then I would chose Styler going forward, it is actively supported, allow for creation of both PDF and HTML outputs, actively supported in APP, the FOSI Publisher engine is going on sustainment meaning no new updates as of version 7 I believe. There are on-line classes for learning Styler from Arbortext University.

Ray

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi

Arbortext puts out a FOSI reference manual that you can access from the support Web site and it is ok, especially if you already have a FOSI to work with.

If you are currently suing SGML then stay with it, but if you have a choice go with XML which is a derivative of SGML and does not have to be compiled to use like the SGML DTDs in Arbortext need to be.

If you do not already have FOSIs then I would chose Styler going forward, it is actively supported, allow for creation of both PDF and HTML outputs, actively supported in APP, the FOSI Publisher engine is going on sustainment meaning no new updates as of version 7 I believe. There are on-line classes for learning Styler from Arbortext University.

Ray

Hi Caleb,

The best way to learn FOSI is with my FOSI QuickStart Tutorials, which are available at my website at http://fosiexpert.com/products.html. The document files used in the tutorials are XML files, but I would be happy to make them SGML files for you. Also, excerpts from my book, Practical FOSI, are at http://fosiexpert.com/Practical-fosi.html.

Note that FOSI is an SGML application. A FOSI stylesheet consists of SGML elements and attributes that adhere to the OutSpec DTD. When you learn FOSI, you are also learning something about SGML 🙂 

In addition, there are books available about SGML.

Hope this helps! Please let me know any questions you may have.

Good luck!

Suzanne Napoleon

www.FOSIexpert.com

"WYSIWYG is last-century technology!"

Caleb,

Did either of the answer that you have received help you?

If so, could you indicate by marking the response with "Correct Answer"?

This action helps all community members by letting them know that a resolution was found, and that conversation may be of value to them.

Top Tags