cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Recover Broken File

sthanheiser
1-Newbie

Recover Broken File

Hi,

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before but I just can't find the answer. I was working on quite a large Mathcad 15 file, and when I closed Mathcad and wanted to shut down my PC (Windows 7), Mathcad suddenly asked me if I wanted to save my file, even though Mathcad wasn't even running anymore and I already saved it. I clicked yes, and when I reopened the file, at least half of the content was gone completely and the rest doesn't seem to work (it just doesn't calculate for some reason). It also lost about half of its file size. I saved a version of that file two weeks ( ! ) ago, so I desperately want to recover some older version of this file.

I can't recover it via the recovering feature of Windows 7 since I didn't activate that. I'm uploading the file so you can see for yourself (comments and stuff are in German though).

I'm very thankful for all suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4

Stefan Thanheiser wrote:

Hi,

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before but I just can't find the answer. I was working on quite a large Mathcad 15 file, and when I closed Mathcad and wanted to shut down my PC (Windows 7), Mathcad suddenly asked me if I wanted to save my file, even though Mathcad wasn't even running anymore and I already saved it. I clicked yes, and when I reopened the file, at least half of the content was gone completely and the rest doesn't seem to work (it just doesn't calculate for some reason). It also lost about half of its file size. I saved a version of that file two weeks ( ! ) ago, so I desperately want to recover some older version of this file.

I can't recover it via the recovering feature of Windows 7 since I didn't activate that. I'm uploading the file so you can see for yourself (comments and stuff are in German though).

I'm very thankful for all suggestions.

I'm sorry, Stefan, but it looks as though the xmcd worksheet is correctly showing you all that there is of the file.  I can't see any obviously corrupt regions (one of the usual symptoms of a corrupted worksheet).

Have a look through your hard drive (and any network folders you might use) to see if there is a temporary file of any kind with an appropriate date/time stamp for your worksheet.  It may be that you could then open it with a text editor and see if it looks like a Mathcad xmcd file.

If you're on a work network, then your IT department may have a more recent backup.

Stuart

Stuart,

The file is normally open in Mathcad 15 M040.

lturek
4-Participant
(To:sthanheiser)

When I open your sheet I see a 31-page document with autocalc turned off. If I turn it on or force a recalculation the sheet performs OK without any errors.

LT

Your file normally opens in Mathcad 15 M040 version. I resaved your worksheet repeatedly and attached to the message, so plese check it. For the future - use the "Autosave" option for your working document (in main menu select "Tools" --> "Preferences" --> "Save" tab).

Top Tags