cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Running AE 7.0 from a command line will not allow ActiveX controls to operate properly

rpaisley
1-Newbie

Running AE 7.0 from a command line will not allow ActiveX controls to operate properly

In windows 7, if I open AE 7.0 by double-clicking the editor.exe file directly from it's directory (I am using the x64 version) I can then open the Help->About PTC Arbortext Editor menu item without issue.

If, instead, I open a command window (cmd.exe) and then open the AE 7.0 application (editor.exe) from that window the Help->About PTC Arbortext Editor menu item will show an error. It is due to the use of an ActiveX component to fill the text space on the panel.

Is there any way to open AE from a command window so ActiveX error will not occur? I need this method of activation when setting up my customer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

After working with my IT people and PTC the issue was found.

Beware, all developers on Windows, if you have Administrator rights there are some capabilities you may not be allowed to perform.

One of these is accessing ActiveX components via the command window/line.

This appears to be a Windows safety constraint so users with administration rights cannot accidentally do themselves harm.

Something to consider when testing changes for your customers.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

After working with my IT people and PTC the issue was found.

Beware, all developers on Windows, if you have Administrator rights there are some capabilities you may not be allowed to perform.

One of these is accessing ActiveX components via the command window/line.

This appears to be a Windows safety constraint so users with administration rights cannot accidentally do themselves harm.

Something to consider when testing changes for your customers.

Top Tags