cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Generate DXF script/automation?

mspoljaric
1-Newbie

Generate DXF script/automation?

The company I work for has a team of engineers that create 3D models and displays, when they're done, they then take each piece and export as a DXF so that the CNC Programmers can begin cutting and assembling. We've come to the conclusion that it's taking a lot of time for each display to be broken down and exported, and were wondering if it was at all possible to make a script/automation for the DXF export process?

Thank you

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
15 REPLIES 15
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mspoljaric)

Yes, this can be automated.  If using Creo standalone, take a look at "Distributed Batch".  If using with Windchill, take a look at "additional file types" for the CAD worker.

I was looking for more of push-button solution to put into Creo on engineers machines, via script or hotkey, something.

Unless I'm just completely misunderstanding the actual Batch functionality.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Mapkeys are handy, and can automate a lot of picks and clicks for you, but you will still need to manually start them on each model or drawing.

Where is the best place to start learning about Mapkeys, to a newbie. And Im guessing theres no way for Mapkeys to do this automatically for all the pieces involved?

Michael,

please explain what is a display. Maybe you can also attach some pictures.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

What I mean by display is a 3D model of a shelf or product display; a container of sorts.

Michael,

do you need to generate:

a.) 3D DXF file containing 3D geometry ?

-OR-

b.) 2D DXF file containing a drawing ?

Please attach some pictures to better describe what you want achieve.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

2D DXF containing a drawing, I am working on getting a few pictures as examples.

Jose_Costa
6-Contributor

What should be the name of the dxf file? The same of the part?

Each piece of the 3D model is to be saved as a 2D DXF with the same naming convention as the parent file, with a numbered notation after (001, 002, 003, etc)

Michael,

OK, you need to export a drawing. Please can you explain the meaning of numbered anotation (001, 002, 003, etc) ? Does it mean that you create multisheet drawings and numbered anotation will mean sheet number ?

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

I am having a meeting with our head engineer tomorrow afternoon to get you all the info and examples. Thanks!

MartinHanakJose Costa

So after meeting with the engineers, they have DRW files generated by CREO which they then take and put front, back, and both side views, remove the sheet, isometric, and guidelines, and then save as DXF in a certain network share. They want a script or macro in 2 parts; the first one to make all the views of the part, remove all the unnecessary information. The next to "Save As" DXF pointed at a shared folder, with a prompt to name it. 

Thanks for your help!

Michael,

I think that it would be difficult to use existing part drawing, because I do not know how to remove unwanted contents from it (drawing, notes, tables, ...).

My suggestion is to create 4 drawing templates for FRONT, BACK, LEFT, RIGHT views and for every part repeat the following procedure.

Requirements: Every part must contain FRONT, BACK, LEFT, RIGHT views.

1. create temporary drawing using FRONT drawing template, save partname_front.dxf and remove temporary drawing
  2. create temporary drawing using BACK drawing template, save partname_back.dxf and remove temporary drawing
  3. create temporary drawing using LEFT drawing template, save partname_left.dxf and remove temporary drawing
  4. create temporary drawing using RIGHT drawing template, save partname_right.dxf and remove temporary drawing

Note:

It is possible to create one drawing template containing FRONT, BACK, LEFT, RIGHT views and instead of 4-step procedure have 1-step procedure. But I do not know how to prevent overlaying of 4 views.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

If you want to do some automation, take a look at these slides

Then download sBatch here

Top Tags