cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

"Today" Button on the new 10.2 M030 Windchill Calendar

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine

"Today" Button on the new 10.2 M030 Windchill Calendar

Windchill Users,

I wanted to find out what you think of the new Windchill calendar that has been switched over from java applet in pre-10.2 M030 releases.  In particular, with regards to the "Today" button on the calendar.

I had a user who navigated to their 10.2 M030 calendar and wanted to delegate their tasks for today.  The user is familiar with other date pickers on websites such as online banking, where pressing the Today button actually selects today.  So the user clicked the button, but nothing happened.  The user had to explicitly press click on today's date in the calendar before they could start the delegation process.

It is the opinion of the user that the Today button does nothing, and is worthless.  The user expects today's date to be selected when clicking the button.  In actuality, the button has some value if you're viewing a month other than the current month.  Clicking the button at that point will cause you to jump back to the current month.  ...which then begs the question...  Should the Today button actually be called the Jump to Current Month button since that is the actual function it performs.

In the end, it is just user opinion.  I understand.  But I have already raised 3 other critical SPRs for this new calendar, and the counter-intuitive behavior of the Today button just adds to the frustration.  I'm happy this has been migrated off java applet.  But I wish more thought and testing went into this one.

What do you all think of the Today button on the calendar?  Am I off my rocker?  Or valid point as far as User Experience is concerned?

2015-09-02_12-46-41.png

2015-09-02_12-50-01.png

1 REPLY 1

It is a poor implementation. I agree with the user that the Today button should clearly select today's date on the calendar. And if you are off looking at some other month and want to get back to the current month, clicking the Today button is an obvious shortcut to get you to the current month. Then you can easily scan the current month and click on the desired date. That would be an implementation much more in line with the behavior of other sites/tools/apps/etc.

Top Tags