cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Defining "variable" parameters/ using functoins

glászló
4-Participant

Defining "variable" parameters/ using functoins

Hi everyone!

I have a few questions about parameters and functions (derived parameters). First, how is it possible to make a parameter with an auto generated serial value. I'd like to make the entry-port parameter's value to be generated automatically, like in the name format if you write # it will increment the value by one. So I would be able to add the entry_port parameter to a variable connectors port, and if the connectors instanced the entry_port parameter values would be filled automatically with 1-2-3-..... (the same as the pin names). The same way, it would be nice to have a Page parameter, whats added to a template sheet, and if I create the sheet, the page parameters value increments automatically. So if I would have this parameter I could reference the sheets with it in the xref shapes label. If I can't make it this way, the sheets name would be good too, but I currently don't know how to do it yet (My next question will be about xref labels). If there's no way to make an auto generated property value, with the entry_port it would be good, to "copy" the ports name with a function?, so the entry_port's value would be the same as the ports name: 1-2-3-4..... (It would be better to generate it automatically by serial if it's possible).

My other question is about cross reference labels. I tried to use the dg_xref function for this, but I couldn't get it done, please help. If I have an xref portshape, I'd like to add a label to it, which shows only the xref sheet's name (not all of them) and the location of the xref port in that sheet. Or if my first problem could be solved, it would be nice to reference a page parameter in the label (xref page of course) and the location (like [29,4]). Currently, I'm only able to show the location and/or all of the sheets, but like this I don't know which is the xref sheet (this would be important if the design is printed). I've attached a few pictures for better understanding of the xref problem. Please help me solve these issues.

So, like this it doesn't give enough information:

Xref_bad.JPG

And like this it's too much information, I only need the xref sheets name (or the xref sheets page parameter value if possible) (I"ve done this with the sheets parameter referenced in the label):

Xref_too.JPG

Thanks,
Laszlo

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Laszlo

You have lots of questions so hopefully I will not miss one

Re the entry port - It is not possible to automate the value of the parameter out of the box.  My recommendation would be to use a pin parameters file which will allow you to create parameters and values in excel and then apply on the fly to connector ports.

Re The page parameter again nothing out of the box but should be available using Java

Re the sheet name in xref – the only way to achieve this out of the box is to have all the sheets in the same location set and turn off sequential numbering.

Cheers, Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Laszlo

You have lots of questions so hopefully I will not miss one

Re the entry port - It is not possible to automate the value of the parameter out of the box.  My recommendation would be to use a pin parameters file which will allow you to create parameters and values in excel and then apply on the fly to connector ports.

Re The page parameter again nothing out of the box but should be available using Java

Re the sheet name in xref – the only way to achieve this out of the box is to have all the sheets in the same location set and turn off sequential numbering.

Cheers, Jim

Jim,

Thank for the answer, I've tried the methods you've suggested, and they work eventually. Entry_port definition is not that easy as it would be with auto generating values, but it's acceptable. The xref sheet label is working too, but I have some further questions about this.

As you mentioned I turned off sequential sheet numbering, and the xref label, is now showing just the xref sheets name. As I was doing this, I noticed, that these sequential numbers are messy in my design (although I don't know why). Is there a way to give a custom value to the sequential numbers? or to reset these numbers, or restart/reorder anything? As you can see in the picture, the numbers doesn't start  from 1. Please help.

sheetnumbering.JPG

Regards,
Laszlo

Laszlo

Simply use the command shown below, this will reset your sequence numbers

thanks

Jim

10-09-2015 09-56-15.png

Jim,

Thanks, didn't noticed that button, but it worked fine, thanks!

Regards,
Laszlo

Top Tags