cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

XML to MS Word - Arbortext Import/Export Function

mburge
1-Newbie

XML to MS Word - Arbortext Import/Export Function

Hi,

I'm tasked with developing style sheets to convert XML to MS Word. This project will be performed in Arbortext E3 7.0 environment and will be required to use Import/Export function. Has anyone performed this type of task before and can provide some insights? Are there available literature/reading materials you can point me to on the web? Is there anything significant (good, bad, or indifferent) I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Morais

13 REPLIES 13
smaclean
4-Participant
(To:mburge)

Morais,

I am not the most experienced but I think the Arbortext Import mapping tool is used to go from Word to XML and it's a module of Arbortext Architect. If you are wanting a Word output for your XML that is just something you will write in your stylesheets using Arbortext Styler. It becomes one of your outputs at publish time.

Regards,

Stew Maclean

The "Export" part of Import/Export is what is used for XML->Word. You setup a stylesheet in Styler, and use the RTF features to make sure your output is styled appropriately. Develop/test on the desktop as an APTCUSTOM folder, then deploy that same folder to PE (E3) for production. I think there may be limits for complex content (e.g. tables, equations) so it depends on what you are trying to output as to how suitable that function will be.

BTW if you are using DITA content, you may find the DITA Open Toolkit MS Word output function worth looking at too.

Didn't PTC just announce the discontinuation of export/import support last week?

My understanding is that the problem with Arbortext Import/Export is that CambridgeDocs no longer license the xDoc technology which forms the underpinnings of the Import module. Therefore PTC are unable to continue shipping that component at this point, and are actively looking at replacement technologies. The Export component would be unaffected as it is PTC's own IP.

That's only my interpretation, PTC's official statement is here: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS196045

Hi-

Just to elaborate a bit on Gareth's post on the EOL for Import/Export. Although we still distribute the technology that allows customers to use the Import/Export feature, it is no longer supported. This means that no bug fixes, no enhancements and no development is done on this code.

PTC has retained the rights to continue to ship this code in our products, We are not looking for replacement technologies. Customers may use this component of our solution, but with the knowledge that PTC has placed it into "Sustained" mode which means--> no support.

Regards-

Pushpinder

Does this mean that contracts will be automatically updated to remove maintenance costs associated with this. I know we paid for maintenance for 2015 and am wondering if contracts are automatically updated?

Hi Trevor-

Standard Support and Sustained Support can get confusing so I would encourage you to reach out to your Sales Representative to get more information. In general, when a product or module is retired, you have the option of no longer including it in your support contract. Or you may continue to include it in order to still receive a Sustained Level of support. You can read more about what that means here: Global Support Policies - PTC.com.

Thank you Pushpinder for the clarification.

mburge
1-Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! It is well appreciated! Does anyone have some documentation I can use? Some kind of online help, tutorial, etc.

Regards,

Morais

rdiaz
5-Regular Member

Hi Morais,

You may want to look over the documentation we have available in the Help Center, and go from there with any specific issues:

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/arbortext_hc/ae61_hc/index.jspx?id=ID3855075948&action=show

Morais,

Did you get a resolution to this issue?

If so, could you describe it for the community and/or indicate the correct answer that lead to your resolution?

Hi Tim, et. al,

I am still investigating and trying to identify the best possible way to move forward with this implementation. Currently I’m reviewing the information from the links provided by Rafael and Gareth.

I'd imagine this function was performed by others before. Do you have any documentation from PTC you can share? What is the correct process to use within Arbortext environment to accomplish XML to Word function if Import/Export feature is no longer available? Or is the Import feature is no longer supported due to the third party vendor discontinued developing/supporting this technology?

Regards,

Morais

rdiaz
5-Regular Member

Hi Morais,

You're correct in your last statement.  The process still functions as best as it has, however it is no longer actively supported, so if you run into an issue that requires a bug fix, TS will be unable to provide one.  We can still help with non-bug issues and tips.

Hopefully the documentation has provided you with a jumping off point, and from there it may be best to just run a few trials to see what you can accomplish.

Let us know if there are any specific issues.

Top Tags