cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Sweeping an elliptical trajectory

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Sweeping an elliptical trajectory

Hello,

On WF4. Yes - WF4.

First time on this forum since the switch over.

I would like to sweep a solid along and ellipse so it looks like a spoon shape (no handle). How can this be done? I've use var traj sweep. Will sweep but results undesirable.

Thanks!

Wayne

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
15 REPLIES 15
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:wfalco)

Without seeing what you're trying to do, try a regular solid sweep with "Add Inner Faces".  If not, you'll probably need to do a Boundary Blend.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:Patriot_1776)

Frank,

See reply to Antonious. Thanks!

Wayne

kschoonover-3
4-Participant

Wayne,

Need a little more info.  You say "sweep a solid", do you mean sweep a cross-section into a solid because Creo/Pro doesn't have a drag solid capability except for creating tessellated envelopes, which won't create smooth geometry.

As for a spoon shape, Var traj sweeps can do a lot, but the best way is to revolve an ellipse into a paraboloid (egg shape) and then cut away a portion.

If this isn't what you want, post a sketch of what you're looking for and I'm sure someone will give it a try.

Cheers,

Kevin

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:kschoonover-3)

Kevin,

See my reply to Antonious. Thanks!

Wayne

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

WAYNE FALCO, I don't see Antonius in this thread.

An option using a boundary blend would be as follows (I don't have WF4 installed anymore, or I'd post a model for you):

1. Sketch an ellipse
  2. Create a datum plane offset from the ellipse sketch the height that you'd like the "spoon" shape to be.
  3. Create a datum point on that plane at the center of the ellipse.
  4. Create a boundary blend using the sketched ellipse and the point as the two curves.
  5. Create a tangency condition at the datum point to the offset plane.

This should create a nice domed surface which you can use to build your solid.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:dgschaefer)

My Bad. I have 2 posts. I did not think the first one took. Sorry - new to this format.

Noty sure if this link will take you to other post.

Solved: Re: sweep elliptical sketch - PTC Community

Your solution is basically the idea. Thanks!

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Yep, that's it.  I did see it after posting my response here.

The video he posted is pretty good, aside from the background music.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:dgschaefer)

Cool. Ha ha. Well - the music was different.

Although Screencast-o-matic said the microphone was off but it recorded anyway.  So I overwrote it with a stock you-tube offering of the right length.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Great job!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

'Morning Antonius!  Hey, is that Screen-capture program free?  Thx!

Free with a little spam icon in the lower left.  I downloaded it so access is a little easier...

Screencast-O-Matic - Free online screen recorder for instant screen capture video sharing.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Awesome, thanks bro! 

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

So Wayne, what is the final shape?  You should post a pic.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:Patriot_1776)

Frank,

Actually - what Antonius did online is my start part. He just tweaked it. That is same result that I have.

Wayne

Top Tags