cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

HELP!

lhes
1-Newbie

HELP!

Hello,

I am a textile student who is currently working as an Intern in a fashion company. Now I got a Flex PLM regarding research topic which I have to do for my university and I don't know anything about all this stuff. I'm completely lost and I hope I can find someone here who might guide me in the right direction.

This is the problem:

As I said we are working with the Flex PLM system of PTC windchill and when we have to find out which trim is applied on which fabric we have to click a LOT. Under every PLM number (which is in this case the trim) there are about twenty styles that all stand for a different fabric. Now I have to click in every single style to find out on which fabrics the trim is attached.

Is there any possibility (which is as well feasible and favorable) to get this fabric information directly on the first "details" page of this trim?

In order to get a solution for this, I developed some other questions that may lead to a solution:

• What are the limitations of adapting the current data
    management within Flex PLM?
  • How flexible is the user interface of Flex PLM?

The problem is I don't know any vocabularies in this kind of topic or how you could call this problem in a more professional way. Therefore I don't even have any idea what to google for.

I would be really thankful for any help!

Thanks,

Lisa

6 REPLIES 6
Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I
(To:lhes)

Lisa,

in the community there is a Flex PLM section.

I ask Ryan Kelley‌ to move your discussion to this section hoping you'll get some answer.

Marco

thanks, Marco

Unfortunately our FlexPLM community is restricted to support-enabled customers, so I'll leave this discussion within the PTC Windchill‌ space and contact the product management team to see if they can assist you, Lisa Hes‌.‌‌

Thank you very much, Ryan!

AL_ANDERSON
5-Regular Member
(To:lhes)

I am pretty sure that FlexPLM is built on top of Windchill.  Therefore, the PLM number for the trim is probably modeled like a part, and the styles are probably modeled like a bill of material.  If that is even remotely true, then on the details page of the trim PLM number there is probably a "Structure" tab, or something similar.  I suspect that you can get what you are looking for from one of the out of the box Reports on the structure page if you cannot simply use the structure tab to get what you want.  On the other hand, if the styles are more like documents or something else, then you might find what you want on the "Related Objects" tab (if there is one) from the PLM number details page.  These are wild guesses, so if anyone knows any better please explain.  I've never actually seen Flex PLM.

Here are some more wild guesses to your other questions.

"What are the limitations of adapting the current data management within Flex PLM?  How flexible is the user interface of Flex PLM?"

If you can find the FlexPLM equivalent of the structure tab, mentioned above, then you can edit that display to show, hide, or reorder columns; you can modify the filter to show the bill of material (BOM) you are looking at; and you can make custom filters and save them for reuse.  You can also most likely click the "+" at the top of the Details page for an object to create a personalized tab of information that you add from the "Customize" pull down, if that is exposed in FlexPLM like it is in PDMLink.  You can probably do something like an Advanced Search where you can create personalized "Saved Searches."  And somewhere in there is probably Query Builder for admins to build custom reports.

I think the main thing is to try to think like Windchill to find what you want.  Everything, like a PLM Number, is an "object."  Objects have relationships to other objects.  Those relationships are always shown from one of the tabs or links from the main details page of any object.  Anything with multiple levels of indenture in their relationships is typically called a "structure" of some kind.  Anything that just links one thing to another is typically called "related" or "reference" or something similar.  When in doubt about what you are looking at, then go to the on-line help from any "?" you see, which is typically context sensitive; or else go to the main help (typically in a pull down from the top right of the page) and search for something you are interested in learning about.

Al

Hi Al,

First, thanks a lot for your extensive answer!

Unfortunately I cannot find any "Structure" tab or something similar. I also can't find neither the out of the box report nor the customized search opportunity.

But still, thank you very much for your help! I will definitely try to find something with the help of your little vocabulary introduction! I will let you know once I find something new.

Again, thank you very much!

Lisa

Top Tags