cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Thumbnails for Office Docs without OFFICE Worker?

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine

Thumbnails for Office Docs without OFFICE Worker?

Is it possible to show thumbnails for WTDocs where primary content is an Office file if we don't have an OFFICE worker set up?

In 9.1, we had an OFFICE type worker.  It was free.  But now with Windchill 10.x? we need Adobe Live Cycle purchase in order to accomplish the same end result, from what I understand.  We are not purchasing that, so we don't have thumbnails for Office documents anymore.

But there is a setting in the Office programs called "save thumbnails for all [Word/Excel/etc] documents".  And when that option is chosen, the thumbnail will appear on your Windows computer instead of the Word/Excel/etc icon.  Can that thumbnail be picked up by Windchill somehow, and displayed on the information page of the WTDocument?  Otherwise is there some other way to display thumbnails of Office documents for free, like 9.1?

File > Info > Properties > Advanced Properties. On the Summary tab, there is a checkbox at the bottom that says Save Thumbnails for All Word Documents.

2015-10-06_14-26-22.png

2015-10-06_14-27-29.png

2015-10-06_14-29-39.png

2 REPLIES 2
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenPerry)

It sounds like several others have figured out how to publish Office docs without using Live Cycle.  Might be worth trying to contact one of these guys.

Publishing Office Doc's in 10.1 without Adobe Lifecycle

Re: Windchill MS Office Worker question  (I realize you commented in this discussion before.)

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenPerry)

Shreyas Atre‌‌ or Rochan Hegde,

Do you have insight to this?

Or maybe Stephen Oerton‌?

All I really care about is the thumbnail.  But I don't mind getting the PDF too.

Thanks,

Ben

Top Tags