cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Plot Values of psi are off by a factor of 386 in MathCad 15

rstraley
1-Newbie

Plot Values of psi are off by a factor of 386 in MathCad 15

Once I add units to the variable, the plot value is off by 386. If I change the units to lb/in^2 the result is correct. However, the units for pressure are NOT lb mass. I tweaked settings in Tools/Worksheet Options but I have not found the correct combination.

What did I miss?

3 REPLIES 3
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:rstraley)

Randy Straley wrote:

Once I add units to the variable, the plot value is off by 386. If I change the units to lb/in^2 the result is correct. However, the units for pressure are NOT lb mass. I tweaked settings in Tools/Worksheet Options but I have not found the correct combination.

What did I miss?

You missed that Mathcad stores values in terms of base units (eg, Length and Mass) not derived units (eg Pressure).   In addition, Mathcad defines Pressure as pound-force per square inch, so there will be the usual conversion to lb.in/s^2.   You get back the correct display value by dividing your function by psi.

Stuart

Great response. I am not a power user of Mathcad so I would have never figured this out. Thanks for the timely and informative response.

Randy

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:rstraley)

Randy Straley wrote:

Great response. I am not a power user of Mathcad so I would have never figured this out. Thanks for the timely and informative response.

Randy

No problem, Randy.

Stuart

Top Tags