cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Mathcad Prime crashes when I use absolute or Determinant function in IF statement

avarma
1-Newbie

Mathcad Prime crashes when I use absolute or Determinant function in IF statement

Hello All,

My requirement is simple I want to compare two numbers and I want the maximum value in return irrespective of its sign. This is how I tried in Excel if (abs(A)>abs(b),A,B) and it worked well.

I tried the same function in Prime3.1 and it crashes every single time I used it. One more thing what I've observed is, the IF statement is working fine when I haven't used Abs function or Determinant operator  in it. The real problem arrives only when I include Abs function in it.

Someone could please help me in resolving this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ashok

12 REPLIES 12
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:avarma)

Ashok Varma wrote:

Hello All,

My requirement is simple I want to compare two numbers and I want the maximum value in return irrespective of its sign. This is how I tried in Excel if (abs(A)>abs(b),A,B) and it worked well.

I tried the same function in Prime3.1 and it crashes every single time I used it. One more thing what I've observed is, the IF statement is working fine when I haven't used Abs function or Determinant operator  in it. The real problem arrives only when I include Abs function in it.

Someone could please help me in resolving this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ashok

Could you please post a worksheet with an example of it crashing?  I don't seem to be having the same problem. Thanks,

Stuart

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Hi,

Try to turn off "Multithreading" option:

1. Go to "Calculation" tab --> "Calculation Options" button.

2. Click on the "Multithreading" button.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:VladimirN)

VladimirN. wrote:

Hi,

Try to turn off "Multithreading" option:

1. Go to "Calculation" tab --> "Calculation Options" button.

2. Click on the "Multithreading" button.

Well, turning it on crashed my Prime 3.1 after clicking Calculate a few times.  The worksheet raised an mpl% exception error for f(-1,-3), the first couple of times, then threw its teddy bears out of the cot the third time.   Unfortunately, whatever was going on prevented me from getting a screen shot using the PrtSc key on my Win 10 PC.

Stuart

You use Win x86 or x64-bit OS?

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

VladimirN. wrote:

You use Win x86 or x64-bit OS?

Windows 10 Pro

Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @2.2 GHz

Installed RAM: 8.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

It seems that this option crashes the 64-bit version of the program.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

VladimirN. wrote:

Typical.  Why me?

Stuart

Скажити мне, пожалуйста, Владимир. Кто русской эквивалент "Мерфи" - невидимый человек, который гарантирует, что "если что-то может пойти не так, это будет"?

StuartBruff wrote:

Typical.  Why me?

Because you're too smart for a regular user of the program .

StuartBruff wrote:

Скажити мне, пожалуйста, Владимир. Кто русской эквивалент "Мерфи" - невидимый человек, который гарантирует, что "если что-то может пойти не так, это будет"?

Stuart,

Could you give an example of an English-speaking environment, to make it more clear what you mean?

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

VladimirN. wrote:

StuartBruff wrote:

Typical.  Why me?

Because you're too smart for a regular user of the program .

StuartBruff wrote:

Stuart,

Could you give an example of an English-speaking environment, to make it more clear what you mean?

It's OK, Vladimir.. I found it: Murphy is Мерфи pa Russki.

Stuart

http://murphy-law.net.ru/

VladimirN. wrote:

Yeah I turned off Multithreading and still it was crashing and I'm using 64 bit version. I could able to take the snap shot off error and attached those pictures here. What would be the solution for it now .

Thanks,

AshokError.PNGMathCAD_Error1.PNGMathCAD_Error2.PNG.PNG

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Ashok Varma wrote:

VladimirN. wrote:

Yeah I turned off Multithreading and still it was crashing and I'm using 64 bit version. I could able to take the snap shot off error and attached those pictures here. What would be the solution for it now .

You could try something along the lines of replacing the |expr A| >= |expr B| by a function that carries out magnitude comparison by a different means.  For example,

Stuart

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

And have you tried reinstalling the program?

Top Tags