cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Problem removing a component from an assembly step in Process Plan [Creo 2]

gcostello
1-Newbie

Problem removing a component from an assembly step in Process Plan [Creo 2]

Hi,

We are using Creo 2, we have a product which has a drawing based upon a process plan assembly.

Normal assembly: A1.asm

Process Plan Assembly: P1.asm  (calls up A1.asm)

Drawing: D1.dwg   (refers to P1.asm)

the process plan has 9 steps.

I need to remove some components from Step 3 in the P1.asm and from the main assembly A1.asm, these components have the added complication that they are patterned components.

I open the P1.asm and redefine the step. This happens fine. Regen shows the parts removed from the step. They are not used in any other step.

The problem occurs when I then open the drawing, it crashes Creo even if I leave the parts in A1.asm (just remove them from STEP 3 in P1.asm).

Can't figure out what I'm missing here.

any help?

Precise process:

Play step > select step 3

Sequence > redefine > step 3

Components > Define > Unselect

Unselect relevant components including any parts referencing it

Regen the model, no regen errors

Open drawing > Creo crashes.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hello Glyn,

I don't believe you are missing anything here.

The only excuse for software to exit, is when there is a corruption in the data loaded(*).

User actions "inside" the software ("outside" would include things like killing software's sub processes), should never cause an exit.

Hence I recommend that you first try with a new drawing, to check whether the issue is specific to that one drawing or generic, so every drawing using a view of the process assembly can trigger such an exit.

If the issue is generic, open a case with Technical Support with example data to investigate and file a SPR for R&D to fix the software.

If the issue is related to a specific drawing only, continue with the new drawing instead.

Note: In theory there is a chance that the model itself (assembly) could bear a data corruption, but if it displays and regenerates without problems in 3D mode, it's more likely the drawing (or the software). And if R&D investigates, they will figure out anyway, whether it's specific to this certain model, so it makes no difference for you.

Regards,

Gunter

--------------------------------------

(*) P.S. If you ask, why is an exit for data corruption "allowed"?: There are some checks for data integrity in Creo, but only in a very light way. A full check of data consistency, to avoid exits (if it is possible at all) would cause a tremendous performance loss and probably couldn't do more than tell you that the data is corrupt and cannot be loaded. Due to the relatively small benefits in the rare case of a data corruption compared to huge performance loss for every retrieval, Creo acts under the premise that the data is correct - which usually is the case. If data is in fact corrupted, Creo will sooner or later get into a situation where data it expects is not there, usually with the consequence of a more or less controlled exit.

Top Tags