cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Create .prt from .pvz

lkasch
1-Newbie

Create .prt from .pvz

Hello cleverest of all people.

I've been trying to open a .pvz file, taken from creo view, as a part in Creo.

I'm doing this in an attempt to quickly import a big assembly from the viewer, into another assembly in creo.

Problem is, when I try opening the .pvz file as a part, I just get an empty window. If I open as an assembly it works, but then when I try to safe it to my workspace, I get a ton of duplicate parts and it refuses to safe.

The weird thing is, if I try opening the pvz-file as a part while having another part or assembly open, it opens the assembly in the other model.

This is a weird result, but it gave me the idea to try creating an empty part, and then opening the .pvz-file from there. This worked, but it opened as an assembly, and then I'm back to my previous problem with not being able to save it.

In conclusion: Does anyone have a great way of opening .pvz files in creo as parts?

Related: Is there really not a better way of opening an assembly as part, then having to convert to a STEP?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:lkasch)

The most common method of making an assembly into a part is to use shrinkwrap. Go to FILE - SAVE AS - SAVE A COPY  and in the TYPE box, change it to SHRINKWRAP.

I don't know anything about converting creo viewer files in to parts.

BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:lkasch)

Lars,

I'm anticipating that many customers are going to be asking for PTC to make Parametric work more effectively with Creo View format files.  I've tried to utillize Creo Parametric with PVZ files in many use cases and even entered cases against it.   My recommendation would be to enter cases and/or enhancement ideas to enture your request gets documented.  The Unite technology can assemble in other vendor formats...you would think Creo would work with Creo.

Top Tags