cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to Set the Windchill Project Folder for new CAD Files

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

How to Set the Windchill Project Folder for new CAD Files

Here's another frequent question related to the use of Creo Parametric and Windchill.

• When we check CAD files into Windchill, they go to the top level directory.
  • We then have to move them to the CAD directory.
  • Is there a way to get them to always go into the CAD directory?

When you create new CAD files in your local workspace, their "home" or folder location in the team project is defined when the CAD file is Checked In. By default, it is always set to the root (top level) folder of the project. You can change this during the Check In process or change your workspace preferences to define a different project folder.

Setting the Folder Location During Check In

Locate the new items in your local workspace as shown below and initiate a Check In.

CAD-DM-checkin.jpg

On the Check In page, use the Select All button to check mark all the new CAD files and then pick the Set Location (folder) icon in the toolbar. This will open the Set Location window allowing you to choose any folder in the team project you have access to.

CAD-DM-setfolder.jpg

Once the Set Location window is confirmed, you'll see the full path to location of you new CAD files in the Check In window.

CAD-DM-foldersset.jpg

Setting the Default Windchill Project Folder Location as a Workspace Preference

Pick the Workspace link at the top of the Workspace window in the Creo Browser.

CAD-DM-workspace.jpg

This will bring you to a list of your workspace(s). Just pick the Edit (pencil) button next to the workspace preferences you'd like to change.

CAD-DM-wsedit.jpg

Just like the previous example, you can now set the default folder for all new CAD files using the Set Location (folder) icon.

CAD-DM-wsfolder.jpg

All that's left is picking OK to confirm the changes and you're good to go. The folder selected here will now be the default folder for all new CAD files created in this workspace.

6 REPLIES 6
nrensing
5-Regular Member
(To:sm)

What is the difference between the "Part target folder" and the "CAD document target folder"? Under what circumstances would you want those to be different?

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:nrensing)

The Part Target Folder refers to Windchill Parts that can be associated with the CAD Documents. I do my best to limit the exposure and potential creation of Windchill Parts on the Academic server. Teams are not doing any complex BOM management in their Project and all the advanced capabilities are provided PDMLink compared to ProjectLink. I don't foresee anyone really wanting to manage CAD files and their relationship to Windchill Parts at an academic level with only ProjectLink.

rjohnson-4
1-Newbie

I heard you save "move"...

For the few files we get stuck up at the root, is there a way to move them without breaking the assemblies they are a part of?

Rande J.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:rjohnson-4)

Absolutely. There is no "Move" command in ProjectLink, but you can use the Cut/Paste method to move CAD files to any folder in your project. Creo always searches the full extent of your Windchill Project to find files, so there is no risk of losing files or breaking assembly or drawing relationships like there is with files on a local disk. Workspaces with these items will automatically update upon Check In to put new iterations of the file in the right place.

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

Scott, can the root (default) folder be customized?

It can, but not on the Academic Windchill server since it is a shared system. Let me know the ideas you have and I can definitely review the administrative staff.

Top Tags