cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Kirchoff - solve block Prime

tlauridsen
1-Newbie

Kirchoff - solve block Prime

In MathCad 14 it was no problem using solve combined with Kirchoff laws on a circuit to figure out different current, but in MathCad Prime it doesn't work when i type the same things in solve block.

What am I doing wrong?

MathCad 14 on the left and Prime on the right

Kirchoff.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
8 REPLIES 8
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:tlauridsen)

Firstly can you provide a worksheet as it is difficult to determine the issue from an image.

However, it seems you are solving symbolically in Mathcad and not in Prime. Is there a reason you are solving symbolically?

Mike

I have just used the method that i have been tought one my Nspire.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

In MC 15 (left panel) you are using a symbolic solve, which does not require guesses for the variables you wish to solve for. In Prime (right panel) you are using a numeric solve, which does require guesses. Either use a symbolic solve, or add guess values for the currents.

You should also get rid of the first equation. Given I1 and I2 it's trivial to calculate I after the solve block.

Lastly, Prime includes a converter that will convert MC 15 worksheets to Prime worksheets. That saves you the work of retyping everything, and also avoids the possible errors associated with doing that.

Thanks for the correct answer!

The book Elrctrical Engineering studies with Excel, Mathcad and Internet is in costraction!

Arh know I can see it... Those guess values are totally misunderstood by me. It works know. But I can't see the idea of theses guess values?  Can anyone explain it to med?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I suggest you read up on Solve Blocks in the help menu.

Mike

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

All numeric non-linear solvers are iterative. They start at some point on the error surface, and head downhill until they find a minimum (i.e. a minimum error). The starting point is given by the guess values.

Top Tags