cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Why would the file size drastically increase?

dthati
1-Newbie

Why would the file size drastically increase?

Why would the file size drastically increase when an excel component is added?

Thanks for the help.

5 REPLIES 5
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:dthati)

Because the Excel spreadsheet is embedded, not linked. Everything in the Excel spreadsheet is in the Mathcad file. Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) allows an object to be either linked (referenced) or embedded. When you create an Excel object in Mathcad it is embedded. Unfortunately, Mathcad does not provide the option of linking.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

And how much has increased the size of the file with the Excel component and without it?

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Deepthi Thati wrote:

Why would the file size drastically increase when an excel component is added?

Is this an issue for you or just a curiosity question?  If it's an issue, can you work round the problem by using the READEXCEL and WRITEEXCEL functions instead (they should only cause a very small increase in file size)?

Stuart

Thank you very much for all the responses. I am using an excel component to create input/output summary tables and graphs and for that I do not have to READ or WRITE excel.

When I created an excel table in Mathcad the size of the file was increased by 8 to 10 MB. Somehow in one of my programs, I could able to figure it out that the file size is increasing due to a corrupted excel table and I fixed it. But I still have one more program, the file size increased to 52MB from 9MB after adding 6 excel tables in the program. I will try to check that by recreating the tables in the program.

Thanks,

Deepthi

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Are you saving in .xmcd or .xmcdz format? The .xmcd format is very bloated, whereas the .xmcdz format is compressed (in fact, it is a zipped .xmcd file). You can change the default format under "tools", "preferences".

Top Tags