cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Help please! Creating a parting surface at the quadrant of a rounded (filleted) face of a part

dgatenby
1-Newbie

Help please! Creating a parting surface at the quadrant of a rounded (filleted) face of a part

Hello!

I am a new user of CREO2 M150 (degree project whilst working full time with 3 kids - please take pitty!) and a previous ACAD modeler (culture shock!!) and have just blown my decent laptop to pieces so I am now using a pentium3 64bit with 2GB of RAM if that has any bearring? (no chance of a new one, so it has to work on it!) - Bad day! oh and this work is due in with a mega-report by thursday!!!!!

I have a basic bezzel part that I need to create a mould for; I create a block around my model/part but then either my mind, ability or computer fails at the parting surface! The model has appropriate drafts etc and the parting surface I had in mind was at the top of a "round" (fillet in ACAD speak) on the bottom face of a flange (so there would be the round and bottom face on one half of the mould but the majority of the flange would be in the other half):

I am attempting to split the block with an extrude (parting surface>extrude) then I set the placement (placement>define) I set a side wall of my block as the sketch plane but wish to use the coordinate system as a reference - it wont let me select it - so I selct othe faces and solve to procede (is this wrong?)

Selecting the references is where I am really falling down; as I mentioned I want the split to be part way up the "part" at the top of a round thus defining the split as a normal plane to the surface I am splitting (rather than paralell to a flat face), I want to select the top of the round and then 2 vertical adjacent faces of the block then solve to define my split - well I can't do it! I can't selct the top of the round, I can't get it to take a whole chain I am unsure of the other splitting techniques so I am stuck and in need of your charity to get me out of my self-made hole!

Please guide me through this!!!

Thank you in advance

Dave

1 REPLY 1
gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:dgatenby)

Probably too late by now...sorry!

... but when you say you cannot select the coordinate system as a sketcher reference, the only reason I can imagine is for reference scope settings in the assembly not allowing you to select from certain component (levels). If ref scope is not forbidding, you can select csys in every orientation as sketcher reference - it will generate a point reference.

Top Tags