cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Signal Processing

Derbigdog
14-Alexandrite

Signal Processing

I am looking for a good book or on-line course in Signal Processing used mainly with real communication systems. Most seem to focus on the theory of the math, not the applications and techniques. Something that would be helpful to a practicing engineer wanting learn how they are used in real systems. I don't need to see every proof or get bogged down in nth-space theorems just some information on how devices in the digital world filter noise, error correct etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Derbigdog
14-Alexandrite
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks Werner, great find.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Derbigdog)

Derbigdog
14-Alexandrite
(To:LucMeekes)

Thanks, having looked at the book and the other recommendations I ordered it. It seems to be what I was looking for.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Derbigdog)

I could recommend to you this text which is based on MATLAB (unfortunately) and the C ++:

"Digital Signal Processing"

A Practical Approach

Emmanuel C. Ifeachor

Barrie W. Jervis

Prentice Hall

Derbigdog
14-Alexandrite
(To:-MFra-)

Thanks for the reply. While I have Matlab as well as Mathcad, I think LucMeeks suggestion was more what I was looking for. However, I will keep it on my wish lists if I find myself needing more help.

Here the list of references which is provided in an "Signal Processing" extension package for Mathcad:

"A Signal Processing Bibliography

The functions in this pack implement methods and algorithms described in the following books, which are good sources for further background on signal processing.

• Bruce L. Bowerman and Richard T. O'Connell, Time Series Forecasting, Duxbury Press (1987).
  • Ronald N. Bracewell, The Hartley Transform, Oxford University Press (1986).
  • Leon Cohen, Time-Frequency Analysis, Prentice-Hall (1995).
  • Rafael C. Gonzalez and Paul Wintz, Digital Image Processing, Addison-Wesley (1977).
  • C. W. J. Granger and Paul Newbold, Forecasting Economic Time Series, Academic Press, Inc. (1986).
  • Hwei P. Hsu, Schaum's Outline of Theory and Programming of Signals and Systems, McGraw-Hill, Inc.(1995).
  • S. Lawrence Marple, Jr., Digital Spectral Analysis with Applications, Prentice-Hall (1987).
  • Sophocles J. Orfanidis, Optimum Signal Processing, 2d ed, Macmillan (1988).
  • T. W. Parks and C. S. Burrus, Digital Filter Design, Wiley-Interscience (1987).
  • Alan V. Oppenheim and Ronald W. Schafer, Discrete-Time Signal Processing, Prentice Hall (1989).
  • Donald B. Percival and Andrew T. Walden, Spectral Analysis of Physical Applications, Cambridge University Press (1993).
  • William H. Press, Brian P. Flannery, Saul A. Teukolsky, and William T. Vetterling, Numerical Recipes in C, Cambridge University Press (1988).
  • Programs for Digital Signal Processing, IEEE Press (1979).
  • Lawrence R. Rabiner and Bernard Gold, Theory and Application of Digital Signal Processing, Prentice-Hall, Inc. (1975).
  • Mary Beth Ruskai et al., eds., Wavelets and Their Applications, Jones and Bartlett Publishers (1992).
  • Samuel Stearns and Ruth A. David, Signal Processing Algorithms, Prentice-Hall, Inc. (1988)."
Derbigdog
14-Alexandrite
(To:VladimirN)

Thanks, I do have the Signal Processing Pack, but have never had a need for it until now. What I need is more understanding of how to actually use it. It would be nice if PTC offered tutorials that explained the functions in the pack and how to apply them. It is something that Matlab does offer. I doubt I will use Matlab for anything except taking engineering courses as I have been a Mathcad user for over 25 years.

I started an Signal Processing engineering course on Coursera and found it to be very academic and focused on the mathematical theory. As an practicing engineer for over 38 years, I need to take engineering courses every year to maintain my Professional Engineering license. So I prefer practical knowledge and insight from experience, not a rehash of a proof that I last saw in college 40 years ago.

Hi Lawrence,

Here are some useful links for you:

1. "The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing" By Steven W. Smith: The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing

2. "Applied Digital Signal Processing. Theory and Practice" by Dimitris G. Manolakis, Vinay K. Ingle: http://www.cambridge.org/ge/academic/subjects/engineering/communications-and-signal-processing/applied-digital-signal-processing-theory-and-practice

3. Course "Digital Signal Processing (theory and application)": Digital Signal Processing (theory and application) | Oxford University Department for Continuing Education

Derbigdog
14-Alexandrite
(To:VladimirN)

Yes this is more of what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

Guess you will find some intersting reading here, too:

DSP Books | dspGuru.com

Werner

Derbigdog
14-Alexandrite
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks Werner, great find.

Top Tags