cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

What is the problem? explicit function

lawrencelawrenc
1-Newbie

What is the problem? explicit function

his appeared only i use explicit,

2016-01-15_201437.jpg

2016-01-15_202800.jpg2016-01-15_202822.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks very much for help! I resolved it with change in Regional settings "Digit grouping symbol". It is a bag in the Windows 8.1, when select in Region: Russia, in place of digit grouping symbol is simple space.

2016-01-16_003121.jpg

when i change this in this form:

2016-01-16_003213.jpg

everything worked as it should!!!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Please post the worksheet.

on the page 7

Which version of Mathcad, which Maintanance release are you using?

And of course, as Richard already told you, you should post/attach the worksheet.

To do so choose  "Use advanced editor" at the upper right and then you get (at the lower right) the option to attach files.,

I'm use Mathcad 15 (M045).
It's problem appear everywhere. for example most simple:

2016-01-15_220836.jpg

No error for me (MC15_M010):

I'd suggest reinstalling Mathcad.

I am using Mathcad 15, M030 and I can confirm that I am getting the very same error you had shown, so I would call it a bug.

If a type the small example you posted into your sheet, I again get that error window telling me that Mathcad "Could not translate the following math XML".

If I close Mathcad, restart it and type the very same example example into a fresh worksheet, I don't  get that error window, but nonetheless Mathcad throws a "normal" strange error (which I also had seen when browing your sheet):

The reason seems to be the inline evaluation in the line above. Even without "explicit", the error is thrown:

But without the inline eval, all is OK, even if we use explicit

have no clue what to do about it and why it seems to work for Mark, but I guess reinstallation would not help.

WE

EDIT:

Just now I also got that error window while playing around with my newly created  sheet.

Thats crazy: The errorwindow suggested, that "L" is the problem and indeed it seems that the unit Liter (which is used internally for volumes in any case) is causing this strange effect. Avoiding that unit (which sure is not an option for your sheet) "cures" the problem!

Also I noticed, that changing the unit system of the sheet to CGS (default volume unit is mL here) also works.

Still confused why it works for Mark as his screenshot clearly shows, the his volume unit is L, not mL.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

I also don't see the error. MC15_045, Win 7 64 bit. Could it be language specific?

Richard Jackson wrote:

I also don't see the error. MC15_045, Win 7 64 bit. Could it be language specific?

Maybe.

I have my Mathad set to language English because of all the troubles with variables s and t being interpreted as tons and seconds, which is horrible if you try to do a quick plot with t at the abscissa or if you use the laplace transform.

But maybe there are still differences deep inside the code between the "normal" US "English only" version and the international version which can additionally be set to German, Italian or whatever. If so, I won't hold my breath waiting for a bug fix. Localazation never was a thing of high priority for PTC  and I guess useres with Italian keyboards still have problems entering the simple ^ operator.

Prime, by the way, is not showing this nasty effect.

And surprisingly muPad in Prime is using the user chosen unit cm^3 and not the default L as in Mathcad. Thats quite fine. So the way, variables and their units are stored seems to have changed.

A drop of bitterness is the inability to hide the keywords and the nasty roundoff error which stems from the inline numeric evaluation in the expression above (and I won't suggest using float to deal with that problem 😉

WE

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I don't know if the version you are running is exactly the same as the version I am running. I have never tried to change the language. PTC only has one download that I know of though, so what makes you think they are different?

I won't suggest using float to deal with that problem 😉

You have deprived me of the opportunity for a rant

I have never tried to change the language. PTC only has one download that I know of though, so what makes you think they are different?

I guess you are not able to change the language if you downloaded the English version.

On my download page a get a choice amongst a couple of localized versions (only for MC15 and MC14, not Prime). I never tried others but the German one and in this version I only have the choice between German an English. I guess thats the same with the other versions - the designated language  + English. So I guess each localized version has some modifications hard coded and this does not only concern the menu and math language but also the units. We use t, s an g for tons, seconds and grams over here, but we also use t as independend time variable and t and s in laplace - this got broken in the localized version (but only when switched to German).

Here is what I see at: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/product.jsp?prodFamily=MCD

but I guess the page is only open for customers wih active maintanance.

I am not sure why only M045 and M030 are available. Some time ago ALL releases beginnig from F000 used to be available there.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I don't have current maintenance, so I'm denied access to the downloads page, even for the products I'm entitled to. Typical PTC!

Thanks very much for help! I resolved it with change in Regional settings "Digit grouping symbol". It is a bag in the Windows 8.1, when select in Region: Russia, in place of digit grouping symbol is simple space.

2016-01-16_003121.jpg

when i change this in this form:

2016-01-16_003213.jpg

everything worked as it should!!!

Top Tags