cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

How to engrave a photo?

??tumfl
1-Newbie

How to engrave a photo?

Hello,

I hope you lovely people don’t mind me asking a question. So I would love to engrave a photo on a block of Al, but the problem I’m having at the moment is how to get a vector photo (i don’t know what is the correct name) into Creo (2.0 version). I would love some advice on how to solve this problem.

P.S. Sorry for the bad language, English isn’t my first language and I’m only in high school. Cheers from Slovenija.     

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I have converted the photo into a dxf file. To my surprise I have simply used the “File System” function and it worked. I was able to engrave the photo (It’s not perfect, but for the purposes of my school it’s going to work lovely). Thank you for the advice. If I’m going to need a more detailed engraving method I will check out some other CAM software.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:??tumfl)

What format is the file the photo is in?

Also, there are other programs which are designed to handle engraving. Creo is not, so you might consider a different program, like ArtCAM.

Hello,

I have converted the photo into a dxf file. To my surprise I have simply used the “File System” function and it worked. I was able to engrave the photo (It’s not perfect, but for the purposes of my school it’s going to work lovely). Thank you for the advice. If I’m going to need a more detailed engraving method I will check out some other CAM software.

Cheers!

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Congrats on success, I was concerned it was a JPEG or BMP, which PTC has no tools for engraving.

Some CNC controllers can use DXF directly.

gkoch
1-Newbie

Thank you for getting back to the thread!

Yes, a couple of vector graphics formats (defining lines/curves instead of bitmaps) do import to Creo Parametric as curves or sketches, which can then be used to engrave.

I am marking your post as Correct Answer, to reflect to the community that we have an answer to this.

Gunter

Top Tags