cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

long series terms in symbolic calculations

aszewczyk
1-Newbie

long series terms in symbolic calculations

Hi everyone,

I am using mathcad version 8 to do a symbolic calculations.  I am getting good results until my results that are in series exceeds a certain number of terms.  For example, I am taking a product of two series and integrate them to get the results or Aseries times Bseries = Cseries then Integral of Cseries = Results.  I am getting results when Results series are up to 8 terms.  However when Aseries and Bseries have more series terms, when trying to calculate the Results I am getting the error message saying that "results are too large for the screen" and it does not display results.  Sometimes Mathcad shuts down unexpectedly.   I tried a trick by letting D = Results and defining E = Result series in 6 terms and it displays then E up to 6 terms.  Then to find other terms I tried F = D - E but it failed by displaying error message or shutting down unexpectedly.  Does any one knows a work around this problem or some kind of trick.....Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:aszewczyk)

Using single letter variable names helps.

You could also try changing a setting in the registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MathSoft\Mathcad\Preferences]

"NODE_DISPLAY_LIMIT"=dword:00002320

That worked for Mathcad 11 under Win 2000. I don't know if it will work for Mathcad 8 under whatever OS you are running. You mess with the registry at your own peril. Make a registry backup first. Also create a Windows restore point first.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:RichardJ)

From my experience: It works for Mathcad 11 under any OS that it runs on (also Win10).

I don't know about other versions of Mathcad. I have a hunch that it works for 2001i, and I think it does NOT work for Mathcad 15.

You can set the NODE_DISPLAY_LIMIT value to any (larger or smaller) value, depending on the size you need. Lower values will trigger the message "Result is too large to display, try using the submatrix function" sooner.

Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LucMeekes)

Yes, now it's checked.

It works with Mathcad 11 on Windows 10, but it doesn't work with Mathcad 2000, so I'm afraid, with Mathcad 8 it will not work.

Luc

Thanks all for help and support.....I guess that I have to put up with my hardware and software limitation for a while.

Top Tags