cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Plotting electric field in 3D

rdelascasas
6-Contributor

Plotting electric field in 3D

i have tried to plot the electric field in 3D, but always only obtain a 2D version of it.

Is there any way that i can plot vector fields in 3D, for example that i can see the vector lines getting out of the source (anodes in my case) and arriving to the sink (cathodes in my case)?

i have attached three graphs, one for the case of the electric field at the anode location, one for the case at middle point between anodes and cathodes and one close the cathode.

i would like to know if i can have a 3D version, which will be more self explanatory for the client.

thanks you in advance,

Regards

Rogelio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:rdelascasas)

Maybe you can do something with this (not written by me).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Please attach your Mathcad worksheet to message (by using "Use advanced editor").

rdelascasas
6-Contributor
(To:VladimirN)

Vladimir,

please, see attachment.

i have reduced the actual calculation sheet to the minimum that i think is relevant to answer the question.

Please, let me know if this is enough.

thank you in advance,

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Maybe you can do something with this (not written by me).

rdelascasas
6-Contributor
(To:RichardJ)

This is pretty good.

I will have to study this file for a little while before i can do something with it .

But thank you very much.

Regards,

Rogelio

to all,

i tried to work the same problem about the electric field calculation in Prime 3.1, but, when i convert the MCad 15 file to 3.1 prime, the following message appears at the bottom left side of the 2D graph that came from the Mcad 15 file: "Vector field plots are not supported in the current version of PTC mathcad"

any comments about this?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Prime still isn't up to the capabilities of 'the real' Mathcad (15 and before).

rdelascasas
6-Contributor
(To:LucMeekes)

yes, that is what i thought.

thanks,

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Graphing in Prime is extremely weak. 3D plots are even worse than 2D plots.

Richard Jackson wrote:

Graphing in Prime is extremely weak. 3D plots are even worse than 2D plots.

Fully agreed on.

But on the other side it should be much easier to implement what Stuart had done so ingeniously in Mathcad, because points and polygons don't need a that much nested data representation and most of all we can separate different polygons by NaN in Prime which unfortunately was not allowed in good old(?) Mathcad and forced Stuart to generate 3 independent 3D-plots for every single arrow.

But given the many drawbacks and weaknesses in Prime's 3D plots, the results would by far not look that good.

WE

Top Tags