cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Direction Field ODE's Plot (prime 3.1)

rubenvillarreal
13-Aquamarine

Direction Field ODE's Plot (prime 3.1)

Hello,

I am just wondering how to plot the direction field of an ODE.

I saw a post where this was solved,but the worksheet was in Mathcad 14/15 and the converter fails, so I couldn't see how they did it.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Prime still is missing a lot of feature which were common in Mathcad 15 and below. Plotting vector fields is one of them. Vector fields in MC15 is, while being two-dimensional, part of the 3D-plot component. Plotting in general is really mediocre in Prime and 3D plots are even worse and not worthwhile.

You may try a routine I once wrote for doing vector plots, direction fields, etc. using just the normal 2D plot (the MC15 3D vector fields had some drawbacks, too). I also converted that worksheet to Prime 2  (the current version at that time) and you should be able to use it in P3.1, too.

The worksheet can be found here: Vector Field Plots in 2D for Mathcad 15 and Prime 2

As you wrote you tried to convert a MC15 sheet, it seems you can read and convert MC15 sheets - here is another usage of those routines -> Direction Field of Lotka-Volterra ODE | PTC Community

Regards

Werner

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Prime still is missing a lot of feature which were common in Mathcad 15 and below. Plotting vector fields is one of them. Vector fields in MC15 is, while being two-dimensional, part of the 3D-plot component. Plotting in general is really mediocre in Prime and 3D plots are even worse and not worthwhile.

You may try a routine I once wrote for doing vector plots, direction fields, etc. using just the normal 2D plot (the MC15 3D vector fields had some drawbacks, too). I also converted that worksheet to Prime 2  (the current version at that time) and you should be able to use it in P3.1, too.

The worksheet can be found here: Vector Field Plots in 2D for Mathcad 15 and Prime 2

As you wrote you tried to convert a MC15 sheet, it seems you can read and convert MC15 sheets - here is another usage of those routines -> Direction Field of Lotka-Volterra ODE | PTC Community

Regards

Werner

I am new using Mathcad, but what a mistake was to remove that feature.

Thanks, I will try to use this method.

You are welcome!

Feel free to come back here if you experience any problems.

I was not sure about your remark that the conversion of a MC15 sheet failed. You need a full installation of Mathcad 15 to be able to use the converter. Nevertheless the converter obviously can't convert a feature like the vector field as its not available in Prime ans so it will only replace the region by a picture. You can download and use Mathcad 15 for free if you have a valid Prime license (both programs will share the very same license file).

I agree that its absolutely not understandable that PTC issues a new version of a software which even in version 3 is missing that many features of the predecessor.

Werner

Top Tags