cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Can anyone tell me the actual use of wt part?

dm-4
2-Guest

Can anyone tell me the actual use of wt part?

Can anyone tell me the actual use of wt part, and also how to retrieve files using wt part?

7 REPLIES 7

Hi Dhanraj,

I will put this question in the Windchill group, for further assistance.  But to get you started, here is some information I found in the Help Center:

The Enterprise Layer

You want to click on the Part Abstractions link.

Thanks,

Amit

Thank you Amit,

Unfortunately the link The Enterprise Layer you have shared is not working.

doehr
1-Newbie
(To:dm-4)

Windchill structures part data a bit like a "bucket". For every part there is one bucket, and everything related to it goes inside the bucket.

Another way of describing it, the WT part (gear icon) is the central hub of all of the information related to that part. The relevant CAD files, drawings, engineering change history, primary BOM structure links to other parts...all get linked to the WT part. It's the most important item in the system for defining a part.

dm-4
2-Guest
(To:doehr)

Thank you Daryl,

Any idea on how to retrieve cad files using wt part? I mean to say, I have .prt file deleted from database, is there anyway we can get the part retrieved using wt part?

doehr
1-Newbie

Unfortunately if you deleted it it's deleted. Did you delete every single iteration/revision or just a more recent one? If the latter you should still be able to find it if you put in the file name on the Search.

As for finding it in the WT part, the Related Objects tab in its screens are where the links to CAD parts are shown. However, PDM on its own doesn't really handle CAD file links very well, we use Creo for that which has a bunch of relevant functions such as Auto Associate.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

One thing to note is that if the CAD Doc (.prt) had been related to the WTPart it should not have let you delete it because of the relationship between the CAD Doc and WTPart. If there are any dependencies between the object getting deleted and any other Windchill object it should fail the deletion. If it let you delete the .prt it seems like it was most likely not associated with a WTPart.

Got it.

Thank you Lori

Top Tags