cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

possible: empty page fault

cgilliland
1-Newbie

possible: empty page fault

I currently have a FOSI that is failing to compile/print most of the times (but not all of the time).

In the "formatter messages" window, the warning is "An empty page fault occurred."

In the event log, the warning is "Error: Failure post-processing for composer type pdf.  FATAL ERROR: Operation terminated."

and

"ERROR: Runtime error formatting document: main:: Error='[A12627] Error: A fatal formatting error occurred.  Refer to the formatting faults log file "file name here"."

The log file has been of no help.  I am unable to consistently get this FOSI to compile or fail at the same elements or point in processing, nor does it repeat with any other FOSI.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Christy,

What does the .log file say?

What error message do you get when the FOSI fails to compile?

Is there a problem with every document?

Does this happen when you print to paper or just to PDF?

The error message mentions post processing, so the .tex file may be fine. But just in case, open the .tex file (located in the cache directory) in an ASCII editor and check the end of the file. When formatting fails, the .tex file reflects the location in the document where the problem occurs. NOTE: If the cache directory does not include the .tex file, set the PUBTEX_FORCE_LOG environment variable to yes, which will save the .tex file when a document is formatted.

Although the .dvi file may also be fine, use Pubview.exe (in the Arbortext /bin directory) to view the .dvi file (located in the cache directory). The last page of the preview should show where the formatting error occurs.

Suzanne Napoleon

"WYSIWYG is last-century technology!"

Practical FOSI is now for sale at FOSIexpert.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi Christy,

What does the .log file say?

What error message do you get when the FOSI fails to compile?

Is there a problem with every document?

Does this happen when you print to paper or just to PDF?

The error message mentions post processing, so the .tex file may be fine. But just in case, open the .tex file (located in the cache directory) in an ASCII editor and check the end of the file. When formatting fails, the .tex file reflects the location in the document where the problem occurs. NOTE: If the cache directory does not include the .tex file, set the PUBTEX_FORCE_LOG environment variable to yes, which will save the .tex file when a document is formatted.

Although the .dvi file may also be fine, use Pubview.exe (in the Arbortext /bin directory) to view the .dvi file (located in the cache directory). The last page of the preview should show where the formatting error occurs.

Suzanne Napoleon

"WYSIWYG is last-century technology!"

Practical FOSI is now for sale at FOSIexpert.com

There is also an existing support "solution" for this error message https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS72106

rdiaz
5-Regular Member
(To:cgilliland)

Hi Christy,

Did Suzanne and Gareth's posts help you through this?

Let the Community know if you are still having issues, or how you got through this.  Thanks!

I apologize for not updating.  I currently do not have my account set up beyond the basic level, so I was unable to view Gareth's link.

Suzanne's post help me point in the right direction.  As I mentioned, the log file wasn't much help other than "An empty page fault occurred".  The tex and dvi files weren't much help because it was showing the last properly formatted element.  I went through the element that followed a dozen times, and it was "perfect".

Turns out, it was an 'invisible' pseudo-element called by the figure.  I was looking through Suzanne's last book, and a troubleshooting question pointed to the permissions about whether an error forces the compile to end immediately, before the next formatting pass, or just reports.  Somehow, that got me thinking about the pseudo-element's position and whether it was possible that it was "so far" past the maximum page length, that it would throw an error.  I changed the positioning, and it finally worked!

Thanks Guys.

Top Tags